Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Second Ruger ?

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:01 pm

If you owned this Ruger 22 pistol: Mark lll Hunter 6 7/8" barrel
http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-hunter- ... 01184.aspx
and you are thinking of getting a second Ruger 22lr, which model would you get?
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 pm

That's a tough question, since I own that gun. I do know it would be SS but maybe the 5.5" Target model like this one. http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-kmkiii- ... 01030.aspx

But I would test the balance of the shorter Hunter model. If your shooting the 1911 platform the 22/45 would have to be considered but I'm yet to own a tupperware run....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:34 pm

I have three Semi Autos all blued and my next one will be a Stainless. Find a shop that has a large seclection and finger print them all. One will stand out at the time. Buy it. :)

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 am

Anybody own a Browning Buck Mark? If so, how do you like it?
Hakaman

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Me, I'd get a MKIII 22/45, then a MKII678GC, then a MKII 22/45, then a Standard ('73) to go with my Hunter. If all I had were the Hunter and wanted another Ruger, I think I'd get an 22/45 RP.

I have a Buckmark Standard. Shoots accurately, good crisp trigger and doesn't seem to be sensitive to ammo. I don't like the way the sight base attaches, and loosens without loctite. The pistol is pretty good, but I prefer my Rugers or my S&W22A.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 pm

I have a blued 5.5 bull barrel model that I love. I am probably going to buy another 5.5 target model in ss, I thought about trying a different model, but know I really like, and shoot well, with the 5.5 bull. I originally wanted ss, but got the blued, because it was cheaper. I have handled some longer barreled models, but didn't feel much of a difference in balance.I would probably have to shoot one to decide if it felt better or worse. So I think I am going to get another 5.5 bull barrel in ss, I have always liked the look of stainless, plus as much as I shoot, the stainless finish will hold up better. I don't think you can go wrong with a 5.5 model. As for the Browning Buckmark, my brother has one, and to me it isn't near the gun compared to a ruger. I prefer the feel of the Ruger, and don't like that you have to remove the sight base to field strip. If you use a scope, you have to remove the scope, to remove the sight base, to strip. They have a better factory trigger, but a trigger job, or drop in parts for the Ruger are fairly cheap. Also in the case of my brothers Buckmark you can't dry fire, learned that the hard way, some say it is safe, but it wasn't with my brothers gun. His buckmark is also much more picky with ammo.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Well, I guess I wanted something different even
if most of you thinks Rugers are the way to go. I like the feel of the bull
barrel on this "Contour" model, and I've heard some good things about the
Browning. I like the rail on top for mounting my Match Dot optics, and it has
a pretty nice trigger out of the box. One thing I noticed was the mag release
was a little hard to get to in a hurry if you use your thumb of your shooting
hand. First impressions are very good, though, and I look forward to shooting
it.
Hakaman

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Nice looking gun, looks well balanced. Let us know how it shoots.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Maybe a short barrel, fixed sight model for some contrast? (I'm borrowing your impact link) :

http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-mkiii-2 ... 01160.aspx

Or, one of these (my favorite!) for a major difference? :

http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-ksbc4-b ... 09138.aspx
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Some advice, please. I field stripped my new buck mark, actually quite simple, except I couldn't get the barrel screw out. It was too tight, with locktite holding it in. Anybody have any suggestions?
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:52 pm

It's probably in with loctite and you'll have to heat the screw.

Why would you want to take the barrel off? The instructions for mine don't even have you remove the slide for cleaning. You just lock the slide back and clean as best you can. I cleaned mine by removing the slide, recoil spring and guide rod. Somehow, I ended up with a bent guide rod.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 am

I think you have a point there Mr. Greener to not take it off. It seems quite simple to field strip, and I am thinking right
now that I shouldn't take off the barrel. That is something you would want locktited on anyway. Can't wait to shoot it.
thanks, Haka

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:21 am

If you remove the recoil spring, rod and buffer, the best way may be to lock the slide back, grasp the rod with non-maring pliers about midway and release the slide. This will make that assembly come off easily.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:32 pm

On my brothers Buckmark the manual did say to remove the barrel, but I ran into the same thing, the screw didn't want to budge, and with the frame on the Buckmark being aluminum, I didn't want to damage the threads. I can't remember exactly what I did, but you don't need to remove the barrel, it was fairly easy to field strip with the barrel on. I think what greener said is the way to do it, I can vaguely remember pulling out the recoil spring and buffer in way that allowed the barrel to stay in place, sorry I'm not to descriptive, it was a while back, only did it once. I do like the look of your Browning, I have always like the Contour model barrel.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:52 pm

I called Browning and they told me they do not recommend taking the barrel
off, as there isn't any reason to do so. I tried heating the area up, and screw,
to the point I felt comfortable, to no avail. "Let well enough alone", I told myself,
before I screw something up. I did accomplish that goal. The gun seems to be easy
to clean, but after a session of break in, we will see. I do like the feel of this gun,
I hope it shoots as well. I'll post a rundown when I shoot it.
Thanks for you help,
Haka

69 degrees and sunny
in the northern part of beautiful Detroit!