I bought - I think!

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Rem Oil, Hoppes gun oil. .22 patches and something to push the patches through the barrel to start. You might want to get a soft bore brush. Add a coated paper clip, loctite and something to pad the work bench and you are ready to start. Pop the back of the tight receiver on a padded surface to remove it. I have a couple of padded hammers and will use them if they are handy.

You need several hundred rounds of ammo, hearing protection and glasses if you want to cover your existing glasses.

PS. You need go have fun when you got it.

bliss

Post by bliss » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:37 am

I've got everyhing pretty well covered except ear protection. I have no clue re what to get. My hearing is already sub par and I want to save what I have left.
I visited a range a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad they lent me some ear muffs. WOW, someone was shooting something very big. I could not only hear it, I could feel it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:17 am

Get ear muffs with a 25-29 noise reduction (NRR). They are fairly inexpensive. Ear plugs will do, but I don't like them. If it is really noisy, then plugs and muffs. I like the electric muffs that allow you to hear normally until the loud noise.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 am

Don't cheap on the hearing protection. Once you damage your hearing it's gone for life. Get the highest rating you can NR33. If you will be shooting on a indoor range wear plugs and muffs. I took a sound meter with me one time to see how loud it was. If I recall it reached in to the 130dba. Any thing over 80 can damage your ears. In the range of 80-90 you may not think so but it can. If you elect to go with the electronic type remember that they must kick in before 80db to be good. And the only pair I know of that does that is ProEars Gold (33NNR) and they are very expensive,$300. The Pro ears have a leather pad against your head which is more comfortable than most. They do have a NON electronic version that sells for around $30.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bliss

Post by bliss » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:39 am

Thank you, blue and green, I will start looking this week.

A UPS package from Bud's has made it to Chicago. I live about three miles from their distribution center. Do they deliver on weekends? Will my FFL guy call me? I'll probably have to be patient. Argh, the waiting, the waiting!

superdave

Post by superdave » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Hello to all. I'm a new member and first time poster. Just had to give bliss some encouraging words. First full strip of any Mark is a challenge, but you will get comfortable with it. All of Bullseye's tutorials are priceless - use them as often as needed. My experience with new Marks has been that they are really gummy and need a thorough cleaning right out of the box. Both my MkIII std. and My MkIII 22/45 were dripping with goo. After a lot of cleaning and a little "detailing", they both shoot flawlessly. As others have said, stay with quality ammo and you shouldn't have any problems. Hope you get your pistol soon and have some fun! I hope to post a picture soon of my (very) old Mark I. It belonged to my dad and was bought new in 1952 for the outrageous amount of $35. Still shoots like a dream.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Welcome to GTO, superdave! You are in good company here with all the other Daves/Davids.

I have a lot to say regarding hearing protection...

In my opinion, you should always wear both earplugs and earmuffs. Something to think about is that the decibel scale is logarithmic, so a 10 dB increase from 0 dB means that your hearing is exposed to 10 times more noise than before the 10 dB increase. This means if you wear NR33 muffs +NR29 plugs, you're hearing is being exposed to a power of nearly 3 (1,000 times) less noise than if you just used the muffs. Prolonged exposure pass around 85dB can cause permanent hearing loss, when you start getting pass that level into the 100dB range, it takes much less exposure and the damage is more severe (and around 140dB the damage is instant). .357 magnum rounds can produce over 164dB, so you can see that even with muffs + plugs you are still in the danger zone, assuming you are within a few feet of the user. Also, exposure time can be misleading - just remember that unless you have a private range, you are being exposed to around 140dB (assuming you aren't right next to the guy blasting away with a .44 or .357 mag) for the whole duration of your range visit. With that in mind, your muffs + plugs will bring the dB level for you down to around 80, which is still loud, but likely not enough to cause damage even after prolonged exposure. The electronic muffs are still audible while wearing the plugs, so that would still be an option for you should you choose to wear the muffs + plugs as I suggest.

Usually your FFL dealer will contact you when they have the firearm and it is ready to be transferred. If you haven't received a phone call shortly after your tracking shows that your FFL has it, I am sure they wouldn't mind a polite phone call from you to ensure that they did indeed receive it.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:06 am

Welcome to GTO, superdave. Looking forward to the pic of the MKI.

superdave

Ruger Mk I

Post by superdave » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 am

Hello Greener, and thanks for the welcome. GTO is a wealth of info and a great bunch of people. I need a little help in getting a picture posted and am sure it is a simple process. I have a web site where I store images, but can't seem to get them attached to my post. Any help? Thanks

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 am

There should be a place that says link to picture. Copy and paste to your reply..... With the img tags around it.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 am

Welcome to GTOL!

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:54 am

Does your picture hosting website allow for direct linking of photos? If not you can email me a copy of the picture and I'll place it into your message.

R,
Bullseye {Placed the Photo you e-mailed to me into your original posting}

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 pm

nice lookin' pistola and welcome!
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:03 pm

It is a nice looking pistola. They do keep well.

bliss

Post by bliss » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:30 am

UPS tracking shows that the package from Bud's Gun Shop spent the weekend in the UPS depot 4.5 miles southeast of my home. It was scaned at 2:15AM this morning and departed. It was arrival scanned at the customer service center on the other side of my home - 10.3 miles to the northwest at 3:00AM. It again was scanned "Out for Delivery" at 5:16AM. It is 10.6 miles to the FFL location. I love UPS Tracking, but I have been watching this process since placing my order with Buds on the 3rd of this month. I will have to sign up for therapy.

Oh no! I just checked our weather report - rain,snow and fog are forecast for today. "Please drive carefully Mr. UPS man!"