S&W 41 safety lever issue

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Chopperdoc

S&W 41 safety lever issue

Post by Chopperdoc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm

I have a S&W M41 that was new when I got it a few months ago. When I fire the pistol, my thumb rides up and engages the safety during a string of fire. I read on the pistolsmith forum that a common fix was to reshape the safety lever to make it more flexible.

If I remove the safety lever completely, I can dry fire the pistol. I was wondering if I can simply leave the lever off and shoot the pistol. I haven’t done this yet, I’m worried about breakage or peening if the safety is removed.

Can any of you guys tell me a DIY for this common problem?

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:45 am

This is a common problem for the M-41 and shooters who use a "high thumb" hold. Inadvertent activation of the thumb safety happens even without fully engaging the lever upward. You cannot remove the safety lever because the pin holds the hammer in place but you can bend the metal spring locking tab a little tighter on the lever. Remove the left grip panel. You will see a small metal spring tab attached to the safety lever via a straight slotted screw. You can remove that tab and then bend the metal a little more downward to increase the engagement tension. Don't bend it too far or you can break the hardened spring metal. This will cause the tension to be tighter and less capable of engaging (or partially engaging) by your thumb position.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks..I'll try that

Post by 641 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Greetings-

The problem identified in this post has been with me for some time. It is particularly troublesome on the line. I made the modification listed and have not had the issue since. Thank you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Welcome to GTO
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Nice meeting you

Post by Coach1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi 641. Welcome to GTO. Now that you are an active member with your first post... don't be a stranger.

Glad to hear your stories and help with questions.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

This is a very common problem with the M-41. I agree it can be frustrating on the firing line when the gun won't fire and everything appears normal, that is all but the safety lever is shifted slightly upward but not into "Safe" mode. There is a little play in the lever the way it is configured. If the spring tab does not provide enough tension then the lever can be accidentally moved upward enough to engage the safety mechanism without actually having selected the lever into the safe position. Bending the spring tab to add tension solves the problem but also makes engaging the safety, with the small lever, much more difficult. Most folks don't mind the extra stiffness to the safety lever because they don't use the pistol as a carry weapon. Glad to hear you solved a problem that plagued you through another member's question here on the forum.

R,
Bullseye

Post by 641 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you, all, for the kind welcome.

Since I never use the safety on the 41 this solution is great. It has the added bonus of keeping the pistol fully functional, in the event that a safety function check is ever called for during a pre-match inspection.

Chopperdoc

Still have the same problem :-(

Post by Chopperdoc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Shot the pistol in a steel challenge match two weeks ago, no issues, shot it again this past weekend in a Rimfire match and the safety engaged three times.

Maybe I didn't bend the tab in far enough but I didn't want to break it. It held for a total of about 200 rounds.

I am considering buying a replacement lever and trying to modify it. I just don't know what to try. I had read somewhere that the late Austin Burnhart used to trim the lever somehow but I could not find specifics.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Sounds as if a little more bending is in order. If you're willing to order a new lever then a new spring tab too is no big deal.

R,
Bullseye

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Good point...A bending I will go!

Post by 641 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 am

I ordered spares from Numrich Gun parts, for both my 41's, the same day I made the bends in the originals. The spares are both in my pistol box.