My new Ruger Markiii 22/45 has severe FTF and FTE problems

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

What ammo were you using? I have a box of Golden Bullets. Tried them in my MKII GC yesterday. The bolt wouldn't close on many of them. Federal 36gr HP and 510 fed and shot beautifully.

stevet1

ammo choice

Post by stevet1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm

I was using the Federal Champion bulk pack 550 and the Winchester bulk pack 555. I think maybe the Federals had the edge over the Winchester's. The Fed bullets are much more rounded and the Win's are more flat nosed. Many people have said that their 22/45 will shoot anything you feed it. I'd like to get it at that point because then everything is dialed in properly. I really like this gun but I'd never bet my life on it at this point as I would on my Smith and Wesson M&P9 which never misses a beat no matter what you put in it.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 am

Rounding of the forward feed lips will make the bullets release just a tad earlier and does correct feeding problems. But I would hold off till you get several 1000 through it. As the gun loosens up it will feed better. If you have more than 1 mag, number them and keep track of which one(s) are causing the problem. I had one that worked and one that did not. When I compared the 2 the spacing was different. Once I made the bad one match the good one, no more problems.

I only oil the bolt, and hammer/sear pins, nothing else gets oil. 22's are dirty and the oil in the wrong area will cause them to require cleaning more often. I remove the bolt and clean it and receiver without separating the upper/lower. Keep all solvents and oils away from the LCI. Being right by the chamber it's a magnet for the powder residue. I use the LCI as a time to clean indicator, which is in the 2k -2500 round count. But if I let solvents get to the LCI it gums up a lot quicker. One thing I did was to smooth the sides up so it fit freely in the slot. This keeps it from sticking as it gets dirty.

Glad the extractor fixed the extraction issues you were having, have on in my gun. Using the MKII bushing in a MKIII does not require a spacer. It's best if it's a press fit to the hammer like the Clark MKII bushing is. I have glued the bushing in using the Blue LocTite with good results. This help remove some of the creep and inconsistent feel in the trigger.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stevet1

Locktiteing hammer bushing to hammer

Post by stevet1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks Blue68f100. Loctiteing the hammer bushing to the hammer really helps? Sounds logical. I will try it next time I get the gun apart. This is a very dirty little gun and I clean it after every 300-500 rounds. Good tip on the LCI. I have my 7 mags numbered to see if there is any particular mag that could be a culprit. Maybe after a few 1000 rounds everything will be better. It just seems unacceptable for a new gun to have so many non fires. The thorough cleaning (gun and mags), extractor replacement, markii hammer bushing replacement, and polishing any internal burrs has helped a lot.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 am

If I recall the last Win ammo I had I had some trouble with it. Even had problems with it feeding in a ATD rifle. I measured the bullets and found them to be slightly over size. The odd part was I had 5000 rounds in 2 lots. But not all of the boxes had problems within the same lot. Stay with Fed and you will be ok.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911