Ruger MK III stuck Mag fix

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Reece Talley

Ruger MK III stuck Mag fix

Post by Reece Talley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am

I had a friend to the range a week ago and she stuck the magazine from my Ruger MK III in back wards. Of course, it stuck. The mag disconnect lever drops into a hole on the reverse of the magazine and it gets locked in place. I called Ruger and ....it was $30 to ship it there, $35 to fix it and $30 more to return ship it not to mention the 3 weeks involved. The lady I spoke to at Ruger suggested a tool called the "mag-out" that can be purchased at mag-out.com. It cost me $20 bucks but arrived in two day's time. The fix took less than 5 minutes. I inserted the tool as directed and the mag came right out. It was so easy that I have to wonder why Ruger doesn't offer the tool with the gun. Anyway, I thought I'd share this.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 am

Welcome to GTO

That seems to be a thing with new shooters not familiar at all with guns. If they really drive them in they can be very hard to get out. I've been lucky that has not happen to me.

Bullseye is the master at getting them out. He made his own tool. Glad to hear there is one commercially available.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:10 am

Welcome to GunTalk-Online.com!

There seems to be an epidemic of these happening lately to Mark III's by folks inattentively inserting magazines into their firearms. If inserted backwards they will stick, because of the mag disconnect safety lever and the upper window in the magazine body. Some folks just aren't patient enough to use a tool before destroying the magazine.

R,
Bullseye

Reece Talley

Post by Reece Talley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:06 am

Eventually, I am going to replace the trigger group with a match type. When I do, the magazine disconnect safety will go straight to the trash. If I had the cash to toss, I'd have that loaded chamber indicator welded up too. Talk about a useless device that uglies up an otherwise clean design.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:57 am

I typically suggest that you save them in a plastic bag somewhere just in case you have to send the pistol back or decide to sell it.

R,
Bullseye

Reece Talley

Post by Reece Talley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Yes, that's typically what I do. I had the auto safety feature removed from all of my Ruger shotguns but I saved the parts in the off chance i decide to sell any of them.