mark111 22/45 has failures to eject every 100 rounds

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

stevet1

mark111 22/45 has failures to eject every 100 rounds

Post by stevet1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 pm

My mark111 22/45 has failures to eject every 100 rounds or so. It's got about 4000 rounds through it and I replaced the ejector with a Volquartsen one when it was new 3 months ago. I use Federal Automatch RN which it seems to like. It gets a thorough cleaning after every use. Anyone have any idea why it would not always eject a fired round?

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Replaced the extractor, rather than the ejector? Does it do this with other ammo?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 pm

How's the clearance on the ejector pin and the magazine feed lips?

You can also try taking the metal tab off of the LCI and see if it is knocking the cases off of the extractor prematurely.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 am

Are you using any oil on the bolt? This is the only thing that gets lightly oiled.

The clearance between the mag and ejector is important. If too high the mag knocks off the brass as it comes back. Normally there is around 1/32"-1/16" clearance. If touching the mags are setting to high.

Bullseye mentioned this clearance and the LCI can cause problems. Normally the LCI cause stove pipe jams. You can remove it all for testing if you like, but removing the metal tab defeats it.

There is mag mod but that's normally for feeding problems not ejection.

Take a bore brush with solvent to the chamber and clean it real good. If carbon is getting built up it can cause brass to stick. I would use a drill for this so you can work it over real good.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stevet1

Post by stevet1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:58 am

blue68f100 wrote:Are you using any oil on the bolt? This is the only thing that gets lightly oiled.

The clearance between the mag and ejector is important. If too high the mag knocks off the brass as it comes back. Normally there is around 1/32"-1/16" clearance. If touching the mags are setting to high.

Bullseye mentioned this clearance and the LCI can cause problems. Normally the LCI cause stove pipe jams. You can remove it all for testing if you like, but removing the metal tab defeats it.

There is mag mod but that's normally for feeding problems not ejection.

Take a bore brush with solvent to the chamber and clean it real good. If carbon is getting built up it can cause brass to stick. I would use a drill for this so you can work it over real good.
The LCI metal hump has been knocked down a bit. The LCI parts are still intact but do not interfere with the round operation. The entire gun is kept clean as a whistle inside and out. The mags have the 1/16" clearance. What and how would you adjust if the mags were setting too high or too low? Also the right rear of the frame where the mag goes into the gun has been polished a bit so the mag doesn't catch there but instead slides in easily.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Everything there sounds good. How is the ejector pin - is it tightly secured in the frame?

R,
Bullseye

stevet1

Post by stevet1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Bullseye wrote:Everything there sounds good. How is the ejector pin - is it tightly secured in the frame?

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye I just went and checked. It seems solid as a rock and has nice sharp edges as does the extractor. Some one mentioned the recoil spring. Is that really a possibility? Also someone said the bolt is the only thing to get lightly oiled. I believe any metal rubbing against metal should have a film of lubrication.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Ejector's solid, Extractor's new VQ, Plenty of clearance for the mag feed lips to the ejector pin, but something is knocking the spent cases off of the extractor. You need to remove that LCI and test fire the gun without it in place. Regardless of how much it appears to not interfere that is the only other item that comes in contact with the extracted case. Since this is an intermittent problem you'll need to test this out with plenty of rounds. If you were short-cycling due to the recoil spring assy, then the bolt would also fail to lock back on empty mags but that is not a symptom you've described with this pistol.

R,
Bullseye

stevet1

Post by stevet1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Bullseye wrote:Ejector's solid, Extractor's new VQ, Plenty of clearance for the mag feed lips to the ejector pin, but something is knocking the spent cases off of the extractor. You need to remove that LCI and test fire the gun without it in place. Regardless of how much it appears to not interfere that is the only other item that comes in contact with the extracted case. Since this is an intermittent problem you'll need to test this out with plenty of rounds. If you were short-cycling due to the recoil spring assy, then the bolt would also fail to lock back on empty mags but that is not a symptom you've described with this pistol.

R,
Bullseye

I dremeled off about .040 off the hump on the Loaded Chamber Indicator. Here in CA I want everything in my gun it came with. We have some silly laws in this state but we still have to obey them. I tried CCI 40gr. bulk pak ammo. In 300 rounds there was not one failure. After all the mods I tried I don't know what the cure was but I'd have to say they all helped. It's one accurate fun little gun to shoot. Thanks to everyone for helping out.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:36 am

Good to hear you've got your Mark III running well again. You may have a point that a combination of factors were the cause of your malfunctions. Ultimately adjusting many parts caused the solution. I am well versed in CA's Firearm Laws having been a licensed retailer there for many years in the 1980's and 1990's.

Have fun enjojing your new gun.

R,
Bullseye

stevet1

Post by stevet1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 am

Bullseye wrote:Good to hear you've got your Mark III running well again. You may have a point that a combination of factors were the cause of your malfunctions. Ultimately adjusting many parts caused the solution. I am well versed in CA's Firearm Laws having been a licensed retailer there for many years in the 1980's and 1990's.

Have fun enjojing your new gun.

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye thank you for you all your expertise and help on behalf of all the members here. It seems there are just so many problems a particular gun can have and you are familiar with all the culprits and how to correct them.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 pm

I have an extensive background in working with these fine pistols for my customers. Sometimes I just have to see them in person to evaluate the problems but most times I can diagnose the symptoms and suggest appropriate remedies based on the users direct observations. Generally this technique takes asking the right questions and evaluating the supplied responses carefully. I do all of this to try and support the shooting community by keeping firearms out on the firing line instead of the shop.

R,
Bullseye

Max It

Post by Max It » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:48 am

HI Ya Steve, I had similar with mine. Now it all works fine. As B'eye said it probably was a combo of factors. The main thing I think that fixed it was constant shooting. I must have over 13,000 rounds down the pipe by now. Keep on shooting.

BTW-it is back at Davidson's right now; the lower worked its way loose. It is that polymer stuff loosening up.

Max
much obliged,

Max

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Max It wrote: BTW-it is back at Davidson's right now; the lower worked its way loose. It is that polymer stuff loosening up.

Max
Loose receiver grip frame fit or problem with the polymer grip frame?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:46 pm

They all loosen up over time, you can put a shim made out of a.beverage can on the receiver with a cut out for the lug to fix it.....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne