Canted Barrel?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mountain Man

Canted Barrel?

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 am

I take delivery of my new S&W Model 617 tomorrow. On another forum, some guys are complaining about their recently acquired Mod 617's having "canted barrels." One claims, "by at least 1/32"."

Is this a valid complaint? I suppose one could say that it should be perfect but, what are the expected tolerances? Is it just a matter of rotating the barrel with the right tools? Or, is the correct torque more important? Is the barrel thread locked?

Any answers and comments welcome!
66 years of shooting - and still asking!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't believe I have enough information to really comment on this question. Nor without specific examples to examine would discussing the potential remedies be prudent. Could it be something as simple as an over torqued barrel - possibly yes, possibly no. Would a simple turn of a wrench fix it? Again the answers depend on the actual situation. Could be a bent yoke too (that's what S&W calls it). There's a different remedy for that problem. Basically if a new pistol has something bent then it should be picked up on the initial inspection and then rejected by the customer. Don't let the dealer add the serial number to the paperwork until you've thoroughly inspected the firearm. If it fails to meet your specifications then just ask for another one and let the dealer deal with it. If they do not want to do that then it is time to shop elsewhere.

R,
Bullseye

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 pm

About where I was coming out. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks!

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

Two developments here:
1. My dealer contacted me last evening to tell me that the S&W distributor has put my 617 on backorder. He is looking for another.
2. On RFC, the poster with the "1/32" canted barrel has posted a pic. See:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=446091
Is that an acceptable variance or would that be grounds for rejection? Could that not be fixed by a slight turn to the left?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 pm

For me, no I wouldn't reject that little of an offset. However that is my taste and not someone else's personal preference in firearms. There's going to be a slight variation in the firearms due to the torque specifications. Those are the issues one has to decide on at the initial inspection phase when deciding whether to purchase a specific gun or not. Don't let the "Bait and Switch" pressure get to you. If they don't have the one you want then find someone else who does. I see no reason to even attempt to align 1/32" and potentially fall out of torque limitations.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Since I own a 617, I thought I would post a picture of mine. I doesn't appear
to have any 'cant' to it (thankfully). I felt it always has shot fine and never
new to check for such a problem.

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm

In my case, this was not a gun I was looking at but one I had on order and was trying to foresee potential problems. When it went on backorder, the dealer tried to find another and when unsuccessful, i have gone elsewhere. This afternoon, I executed a GunBroker Buy Now with BudsGuns for a 617. In prior questioning, I was told that, if the gun arrived with a barrel misalignment (or any other unacceptable flaw,) I should leave it at the LGS and give them a call. They will issue a pick up and send a replacement.

That's the way I like to do business!

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 pm

I wouldn't borrow trouble before you get the revolver. Sounds like Bud's is willing to step up and handle a quality problem.

Smith and Wesson has a great reputation for customer service and fixing problems. I didn't read in the RFC thread that the guy called S&W and allowed them to apply a solution.

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 pm

I don't intend to borrow any trouble. Quite the contrary, I want to avoid it!

Not really being a revolver man, I had never heard of the problem and wanted to be knowledgeable if I encountered it. Hopefully, I will not.

Mountain Man

617 Delivered!

Post by Mountain Man » Thu May 03, 2012 9:27 pm

My S&W 617 was delivered today. At the LGS, I was delighted to find that the barrel was in perfect alignment. I was a bit taken aback to see a build-up of powder residue around the receiver and the LGS agreed that it was more than one would expect from test firing. This was sold to me as "Factory New." I did not reject it but bought it home thinking that a little cleaner would clear up everything. An hour of cleaning convinced me that the gun had been fired a lot.

Now, I see under the cylinder hinge that this is a 617-6. If my information is correct, that means that if was manufactured between 1990 and 1994?? The serial number is CSP6809?? Any information would be appreciated.

BTW, what does CTG. mean?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Unlike some of the manufacturers S&W doesn't always follow a standardized serial numbering system. This means you should write to them and inquire about that specific serial number's records and its actual factory production date. They should be able to clear up any confusion to if it was actually new or if it was misrepresented as new.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri May 04, 2012 6:36 am

"CTG" = cartridge (?)

20 years seems like a long time to be sitting in someone's inventory, but it could be possible.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 04, 2012 7:53 am

[quote="greener"]"CTG" = cartridge (?)

20 years seems like a long time to be sitting in someone's inventory, but it could be possible.[/quote
Most anything is possible but a lot of things are not really probable?]
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 04, 2012 7:53 am

I have new input/correction - I thought to go and look at the S&W test round. It was dated February, 2012. My information was bad on the dates of production of the 617 and I now believe the 617-6 to be the current version.

All I have to complain about is the firing and dirty condition of the gun. It's clean now and headed for the range!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 am

Mountain Man wrote:I have new input/correction - I thought to go and look at the S&W test round. It was dated February, 2012. My information was bad on the dates of production of the 617 and I now believe the 617-6 to be the current version.

All I have to complain about is the firing and dirty condition of the gun. It's clean now and headed for the range!
Just put all of those thoughts behind you and have fun, that is why we shoot.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.