A good pointy nose .22LR?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

A good pointy nose .22LR?

Post by ruger22 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:15 pm

I posted in the Workshop on how my Bobcats now shoot Federal bulk HP well (Hoooo-rah!!!!). Being a more pointed shape, they also feed better than CCI's round nose, either HP or solid.

Using the Bobcat for CCW, I'd like a better quality round than the cheap Federal. They are too prone to going Click instead of Bang.

I know Federal makes a .22 auto cartridge, and other types. I'm not sure if they are a pointed shape. Anybody use other Federals and the cheap stuff too?

Or, some other brand with a pointed bullet may be worth trying. I may just have to browse an ammo rack one afternoon.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:56 pm

If I was going to edc a 22lr I would go for the stoutest .22 that would work in my gun. CCI stingers, REM yellowjackets, aguilla supermax, that type of stuff. The federal automatch if good ammo but is a standard velocity not even a high velocity. When you go with.a little bullet speed is king in terms of effectiveness.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Before, when only hot ammo would function very well in the Bobcats, I was using CCI Velocitor. With CCI's bullet shape, I could only load five in the seven round mag. With 6 and 7 they wouldn't feed well. Sometimes they just hit below the chamber and jam the slide open.

With my mods, Federal bulk is working really well, but Velocitor still works as before. IIRC, Remington Viper is pretty pointed, where I could still carry 6+1 like the Federal. IF the Viper proves dependable. Remington's Golden Bullets have me not trusting any of their ammo.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat May 26, 2012 3:53 pm

I was looking for a Bobcat when I traded for my Taurus PT22. It is a Bobcat clone, or near it anyway. It came with two mag's. One holds 8 rounds and the other holds 9. They look identical so not sure why the difference in capacity. I've run over 200 rounds of CCI minimags and Federal bulk without a single failure of any kind. I did have 3 FTF's with Winchester XPert HP's. The flat point jambed against the bottom of the feed ramp. But that's with probably 100 rounds. It hasn't been cleaned yet, so a good cleaning might have avoided those FTF's.

So far, that little Taurus just eats most anything I've put through it.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.