My new 22-45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My new 22-45

Post by Biggjimm » Sun May 27, 2012 9:37 am

I just picked up another 22-45 marklll the other day. I was at my buddies gun shop & guy walks in a said he wanted to sell this broken gun. My buddy said he didn't want it if it was broke. I said what's broke & he told me & I instantly knew what was wrong. He missed the mainspring-hammer strut alignment. I tried to explain to him what had happened & he got all cocky & informed me that he had taken down thousands of guns including that one & he was too good to do something dumb like that. So I asked how much for the broken gun. He smiled & said he'd gladly take $100 of my money for the broken gun. So I paid him & had it in perfect working order right in front of him in less than 2 minutes. he looked at me funny hung his head & walked out of the store. So now I have another fine RP model 22-45. Biggjimm.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Ahhhhh, don't just love a self described expert. I'll bet you'd have showed him how to fix it if he'd just gave you a chance. Oh well, one man's loss is another man's gain. I probably would not have done the "touchdown dance" right in front of him like that but I wasn't there when he was piling it on high. Nice grab!

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 am

Yes bullseye I tried to explain to him how to fix it & offered to show him what had happened but he insisted that he was an "expert gunsmith" & there was no way that with his level of expertise he could have done something so stupid. And typically I would not have rubbed his nose in it but he kept on about how I had a $100 paper weight & how there's a sucker born every minute & he just loves being able to take suckers money. My bud that owns the store ask me if I knew for sure what was wrong with it while Mr. Gunsmith was bragging to another customer how he just hosed me. I told my buddy yes I know exactly what's wrong with it & he said please fix it real quick so this guy will shut up. So I did & Mr. Know it all gunsmith quitely left the store. I thought about showing him what the problem was & selling it back to him for the same $100 but he just kept on & on & on with the loud obnoxious sucker rant so I decided against it. But I wasn't cocky about it. I don't know how long he had it but it looks to be unfired & I just gave $380 for my other one & the going rate around here is about $440 for the RP model with 4.5" threaded barrel. So all in all at the end of the day I was pleased with my "stupid sucker" self.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 am

I figured there was more of an interesting story to that purchase. From what you described your friend wanted the loudmouth put in his place. I'm betting this isn't the first time that fella has stepped all over his "a sensitive appendage" in the shop. Thanks for sharing that one and enjoy your new firearm.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 am

If he was that good you may want to check to see if the FP stop is in place.

Nice story, now if I could ever get that lucky....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 am

Yes Bullseye you are exactly right. My bud couldn't wait for a chance to shut this guy up. He's one of those guys that pulls up to the shop & ten guys are trying to squeeze out the back door at the same time to leave. I pretty much get along with everybody but he's one guy that you just don't care to be around.

And Blue the first thing I did was tear it down & make sure everything else was in good working order especially the firing pin block. And it was. It still had the thick gunky lube from the factory all over it. I'm sure now that I've been into it that it is unfired. There's not a speck of dirt anywhere. I'm gonna fix that probly tomorrow. My bud called me this morning & said the guy dropped off the box & accessories for it. I just went to get it & both mags the paperwork, bolt lock & internal safety keys & the little zippered case were all in there & there was a Ruger compensator that looks like the ones I've seen on the SR22 rifles laying in the box. It is a cast steel piece that looks kinda like a fluted barrel as the ports run lengthwise. I don't know if it came with it or what my other one is the same model & it didn't have one. Oh well I'm not complaining. Biggjimm.