Ruger 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

USAFret

Ruger 22/45

Post by USAFret » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 pm

My Ruger 22/45 has suddenly decided that it does not like CCI hollow points. It used to be OK with both CCI hollow points and RNs but now the hollow points will not cycle well. When they jam, the cartridges either have a dent in the brass or the hollow point is dented such that it is deformed and will not cycle. My first reaction was to haul out my RST-4 which shoots everything that I load, but I thought that I'd ask the experts. Any ideas?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 am

This is not unusual for these pistols, especially the 22/45. What your experiencing is ramp strikes with your hollow point ammunition. I'd venture to guess you'll see marks on the faces of round nose ammunition too. Here's an extreme example.

Hollow points are less forgiving because of their profile, and hang up on the front of the ramp. The cause is the magazine positioning the rounds. Ensure that the top round is tilted upward when you load the mag.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you can also open the front half of the magazine's feed lips, the part that holds the round in place, just a few millimeters, that should give you a better angle on the rounds. The part you open is just behind the notch. The very front part is only there to guide the rounds as they glide into place in the chamber. Just open up the lips a little bit at at time, and you still have to take care about that top round's position.

This should help you.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:50 am

over the years, and owning several rimfire pistols and rifles, I have found they all run better with round nose bullets. As I do not use them for hunting I really have no need for a hollow point round, the flat spot in the center just causes feed problems. Some of them run better on the copper plated rounds than they do with the waxy lubed lead bullets. I just use what works the best, usually ?CCI, either SV or mini mags.Just my opinion, others may vary.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:43 pm

I have found the AE 22 HP feeds without any problems. It has a smaller hollow point than most, look like a RN. This is a 38gr HV round. The most accurate of any rim fire that I have tried. The bad new is they only come to 40/box. I only use them for hunting, the fully tail tree rats...
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911