Add LCR-22 to the LCR-357?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Add LCR-22 to the LCR-357?

Post by ruger22 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43 pm

I think the LCR-22 would be a dud at the range, not much fun, just a challenge to shoot being a snubby.

I am considering it mainly as cost saving practice for the 357. After all, the cost of about 20 boxes of factory .38 would buy the .22 LCR.

Otherwise, would it really be good training? The trigger is heavier, with much less recoil. If the sights matched my 357, that would help. It's POA and POI match at 12 yards. I suppose a little filing would correct that if needed.

Slight technical worry. Some report that once dirty, the ejector sets out and scars the aluminum frame. I'm wondering about the titanium lock pin dragging a groove in the recoil shield over time?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm one of those folks who always takes a couple-three .22's to the range, so I'd tend to favor the LCR22 as a trainer for the LCR .357. Of course you have a nice set of .22's that may not be matching trainers, but are good for shooting practice.

If you want to reduce the cost of ammunition, you could always take up reloading. My costs are $0.12-$0.13/round for lead .38 specials. Cuts the ammo cost up to 1/3.

Now ask me how much money I've saved in the last 5 years reloading.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 pm

greener wrote:I'm one of those folks who always takes a couple-three .22's to the range, so I'd tend to favor the LCR22 as a trainer for the LCR .357. Of course you have a nice set of .22's that may not be matching trainers, but are good for shooting practice.

If you want to reduce the cost of ammunition, you could always take up reloading. My costs are $0.12-$0.13/round for lead .38 specials. Cuts the ammo cost up to 1/3.

OK, how much?????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 am

Reloading has cost me a lot over the years...... But I have been able afford to shoot a heck of a lot more. I like the monotony of putting a pile of rounds together its quite Zen like.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:I'm one of those folks who always takes a couple-three .22's to the range, so I'd tend to favor the LCR22 as a trainer for the LCR .357. Of course you have a nice set of .22's that may not be matching trainers, but are good for shooting practice.

OK, how much?????
Zero. Any savings went up in smoke, loud noises, range trips, primers, powder, cases, not to mention a few firearms because "if you reload, ammo is cheap"

greener

Re: Add LCR-22 to the LCR-357?

Post by greener » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 am

ruger22 wrote:I think the LCR-22 would be a dud at the range, not much fun, just a challenge to shoot being a snubby.
I think it would be a lot of fun. A revolver with very similar attributes as your carry that allows you to shoot 500 rounds for $20 and no recoil to speak of. Without the training/practice aspect it would be fun to shoot. My single six is a good training substitute for my Blackhawks but it is fun to shoot on its own.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote: you have a nice set of .22's that may not be matching trainers, but are good for shooting practice.
OK, how much?????
Zero. Any savings went up in smoke, loud noises, range trips, primers, powder, cases, not to mention a few firearms because "if you reload, ammo is cheap"
That's what most every reloader tells me. Some spend even more by reloading, but at least they shoot more.

Nothing is more fun for me than my Bearcats, so they'll do for now. I may still go for the 22 LCR if I catch a sale, or the odd chance of a used one. Right now, my best OTD local new one is $452.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:08 am

yep. But reloading certainly gives you the feeling that you are controlling variables while saving on cost per bang. I donMt shoot the small pocket SD guns that much. The amount I shoot them wouldnMt justify the time and space for reloading. More fun shooting the guns I enjoy and just maintain basic profiency with the pocket guns

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:41 am

greener wrote:yep. But reloading certainly gives you the feeling that you are controlling variables while saving on cost per bang. I don't shoot the small pocket SD guns that much. The amount I shoot them wouldn't justify the time and space for reloading. More fun shooting the guns I enjoy and just maintain basic proficiency with the pocket guns
Actually, reloading is not to save money, it is to keep the economy growing. I shoot the pocket guns now and the, usually use factory ammo so that the feel is the same as my SD loads, Sure do run a lot of .38's through my 1894C lever gun though'Also reload a lot of rounds for my .223 bolt gun.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Like already mentioned, most savings from reloading is shot up. This is because most have a budget they have to work in. Reloading just allows us to shoot more for the same amount of money. The upfront cost can vary a lot depending on setup. It all gets down to how much your monthly round count is. The biggest cost is the bullets, but to get the best price you must buy in bulk, 3k+. I normally buy 5-10k at a time. I get with other reloaders and we combine our orders to get the best price. Some rounds are very expensive to buy which makes recouping your cost a quicker. Revolver ammo seams to go up more in price than auto rounds. I think this is mainly due to smaller runs. Then look at the 357sig if you want an expensive auto round, which can be reloaded @ 9mm cost.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Arrggghhh! Temptation

Post by ruger22 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Arrggghhh! Temptation!

I just happened to be close to Sportsman's Warehouse today, and I just had to check out their LCR-22s. Makes me still want one........ :cry:

I looked at the display, which I know has been out at least three months. With a lot of handling, I couldn't even see a line from the lock pin, so there went that excuse. And the trigger was just a little heavier than my .357, or one that they had on display. Maybe Ruger has put tighter QC on the pull at the factory?

Plus Sportsman's has five "in the back". That gives me time to think some more, at least. If GTO had one of those "headbanging" Emoticons, I would insert it here.......
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bearandoldman

Re: Arrggghhh! Temptation

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:42 pm

ruger22 wrote:Arrggghhh! Temptation!

I just happened to be close to Sportsman's Warehouse today, and I just had to check out their LCR-22s. Makes me still want one........ :cry:

I looked at the display, which I know has been out at least three months. With a lot of handling, I couldn't even see a line from the lock pin, so there went that excuse. And the trigger was just a little heavier than my .357, or one that they had on display. Maybe Ruger has put tighter QC on the pull at the factory?

Plus Sportsman's has five "in the back". That gives me time to think some more, at least. If GTO had one of those "headbanging" Emoticons, I would insert it here.......
Buy it, quit saving money for your old age and use it!!!!!!!!!!!!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:47 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Makes me still want one........ :cry:.............If GTO had one of those "headbanging" Emoticons, I would insert it here.......
Aren't you still saving money for your old age?

One problem, one of my consigned guns has not been paid off yet. The LGS has given the buyer of a Bobcat a break on their layaway rules. So, the wife is NOT happy for me to warm up the VISA until I send them that Bobcat money.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:18 pm

ruger22 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Makes me still want one........ :cry:.............If GTO had one of those "headbanging" Emoticons, I would insert it here.......
Aren't you still saving money for your old age.
Nope, uit doing that about 15 years agoe when I got old.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 pm

ruger22 wrote:
Aren't you still saving money for your old age?
Somewhere I heard "you can't take it with you and you can't send it on ahead." Not sure who said that.