I gave up and bought it

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

I gave up and bought it

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:52 pm

New LCR-22, yesterday. $452 OTD. I looked over two, one had a nicer trigger than the other, so it was the winner.

Only flaw I could find was a sharp edge of the front sight roll pin. It set out farther than the other end, so I think the factory missed it. When I got it home a little file work had it even and smooth. Super Blue put it back pretty.

I'll agree the trigger is stiffer than the centerfire models, but this one is just noticeably harder than my 357. The example I passed on felt stiffer, and had a slight "catch" I could feel in the first third of the pull.

The 22 LCRs must not be moving as quick as Ruger anticipated. The clerk said these came in a week ago. My serial is in the low three thousands, it has the supplement page to the manual, and the test fire cartridge is dated back in December. My 357 was factory shot in April, and the serial is around the 33,000 mark.

Now I just have to get a weekend where the Occaisionally Better Half won't mind me going to the range........ :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 am

Rimfire revolvers need a stronger hammer spring than the corresponding centerfire.

The LCR-22's I've "test fired" over the delear's counter seem to be pretty good revolvers.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Someplace, I wish I could remember where, I read that Ruger's acceptable range for the LCR trigger pulls was 9-12 lbs for the centerfires, and 11-14 for the 22. I don't have a gauge, but I'd guess two pounds difference is maybe right for my two.

I loaded it last night with empty cases to dry fire as a test. The 22 has an odd firing pin alignment. By the impressions, it looks like only two thirds of it hits the cartridge. The center of the pin hits just inside the edge of the rim, leaving an impression shaped like two thirds of a shallow bowl. It slightly deforms the square edge of the rim. On a Single-Six or Bearcat, you get the "whole" bowl.

May be this isn't unusual, I've just never seen it on other rimfires. I'm sure Ruger's design here has a reason, hopefully to improve ignition.

If the weather forecast proves right, yard work Saturday and range Sunday....... :D
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Sunday has come and gone. Anything to report?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Well, I found the problem of the ejector gouging the frame in the factory test fire. Ruger got it back this morning. I never got to fire it. Whenever I get it back and go to the range, I'll post.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:53 pm

You seem to be a little snake bit when it comes to buying guns. The up side is that you will get one that has had a thorough going over by Ruger, I hope.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 pm

greener wrote:You seem to be a little snake bit when it comes to buying guns. The up side is that you will get one that has had a thorough going over by Ruger, I hope.
Well, the Single-Six had a big barrel/cylinder gap two years ago. The Bobcats weren't defective, just a design that's not up to CCW. Now this LCR-22. That's not so bad, I guess.

Ruger is confusing. They called me yesterday morning, before my UPS hub was even open, to see if I had sent it. Like they were anxious to get it? Even put an "alert" on it, which sounds like quick attention?

They got it this morning, and I didn't hear from them all day. No email, no call.

I agree, hoping I'll get a well inspected one this time.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP