kel tec .22wmr auto loader

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

kel tec .22wmr auto loader

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Anybody know anything about this kel tec pmr30?
[url http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/[/url]
It's a semi automatic 30rd .22 mag pistol. Sounds like a fun gun to shoot. Might be better for squirrel hunting than my 22/45 marklll. It might just jump to the top of my "next gun I have to get" list.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:08 am

I like mine. Got it used from a local(ish) rimfirecgentral member, he'd either gotten bored with it or needed cash.

Production hasn't caught up to demand, be ready for either a long wait or to pay well over MSRP.

If you get a used one, make sure it has the updated barrel - flutes are out, flared is in. Some ammo wouldn't stabilize in the older version, the update fixes that, although it still needs the right ammo, a card with recommended ammo is in the box. That older barrel works with some ammo, if it has both, keep it as a spare and see what subset of ammo it works with.

Being picky with ammo isn't surprising ... after all it is a pistol firing a rifle round from an oddball mag with a unique blowback/recoil action ... mine likes maxi-mags, gold dots, and hornady CD ... and doesn't mind Fiocchi JSP too much for cheap shooting.

30+1 capacity is possible, I'm lazy and put one box of ammo into 2 mags, 25x each ... loading the mags is tricky, follow the instructions in the manual.

22wmr from a pistol is LOUD, and has quite a muzzle flash, on par with Tokarev.

KelTec has been promising a carbine the whole time, ETA is anybody's guess. The RMR30 will, in theory, share magazines with the PMR30, I bought extra pmr30 mags and I'm still waiting on that companion rifle.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:46 am

I went to one lgs to inquire about one & he had one he just got in for another guy for $425. I haven't been to see my buddy who owns the other lgs to see what he can come up with yet.I'll probably go see him tomorrow. It really looks like a nice little magnum pistol, what's the difference in the old & new barrels?
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 pm

what's the difference in the old & new barrels?
design difference:
twist rate, I think ... there was also a heat-treat issue in the old batch, I think it was caught before making it out to distributors, so it is probably a non-issue in anything you find in the wild.

visible outer difference:
flutes (old) vs tapered (new)

functional difference:
the newer barrel will work with a wider variety of ammunition, the old barrel had a very small set of ammo it worked with

If you're buying new, you are extremely unlikely to get the old barrel, the PMR30 has been selling as fast as KT can produce it for at least a year now, there isn't much chance of "new old stock" on the shelf.
If you buy used, I think KT is still offering the barrel upgrade as a freebie - you call KT, give them your serial# and address, and they send you an updated barrel.

If you haven't held one in hand yet ... be warned, it feels like a toy. That's part of the appeal for me, but when I handed it off to a neighbor his comment was "these look more and more like real guns" ... I think he was under the impression that it was a prop or Airsoft gun. When I handed over a box of ammo and a mag, he was rather impressed. He's more of a traditional "forty five" guy, I'm not sure if he's aware that there ever has been anything but m1911 pistols chambered in .45acp, he liked my Rock Island Armory faux CCO.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm

I really like what it offers but not interested in a 22 wmr I would be very interested in a 22LR though. Maybe one of these to come in the future.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:57 am

you'd need a completely different magazine design, the .22wmr only works because it is so long. Shorter rounds with wobbly bullets wouldn't stack the same way

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 am

No I would not buy one until it was made in 22LR. But that would be nice.