Rusty Mainspring Housing?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Rusty Mainspring Housing?

Post by greener » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:01 pm

I was giving today's shooting buddy instructions on field stripping his Lite. The grip frame-receiver fit was really tight and really tough to align, so I switched to my trusty MKIII 22/45. The mainspring housing wouldn't pop out or pull out easy. I had to pry it out.

The detent for the hammer strut was filled with rust. Gave it a couple of baths in CLP with wipedown and left it on the bench soaking. I have no idea how I got water in the housing. No rust anywhere else.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 am

sweaty palms?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 am

Could be

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:52 pm

After a couple of rinses with penetrating oil, clp and oiling, the housing still will not pop out when the latch is released. I have it soaking in penetrating oil. If that doesn't work it is either disassembly or replacement. The marvel jig http://www.marvelcustomguns.com/ruger_m ... g_tool.htm is $45 and the Ruger assembly is $61. By the time you buy replacement internal parts the assembled mainspring seems to be the better choice.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:03 pm

When you get older you sewat a lot and get weak.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 pm

bearandoldman wrote:When you get older you sewat a lot and get weak.
I've he ard I don't sweat much for a fat boy. :lol:

Besides, I think this one got wet in December. Not sweating weather.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 am

Does it move in the frame at all?

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 am

If you have a ultrasonic cleaner put it in there with diesel as the fluid. It will not take very long for the sound waves to break things loose. I've done this many times on rusted parts.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 am

You can get it back together with a clamp that opens up big enough. And it will take a FEW tries, just ask me how I know. One key is make sure the pin that holds the spring and ball in place fits easy ahead of time.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:11 pm

The mainspring functions. It will cock and release the hammer. It will not pop out when the mainspring latch is opened and has to be pried out. I've done a number of washes and oilings. The picture below shows the rust that has been washed out. I've got it to the point that it will pop out about 1/8 inch, but it still has to be pried out.

I've got it soaking in penetrating oil. Didn't think about an ultrasonic cleaner since I don't have one, but we have number at work. Will give it a try if I can get my hands on one.

I may decide to try disassembly with a C clamp. Not much to lose but some time.

The "fun" part is that I fired the pistol not under cover on a damp (few drizzles) day. When I got home, I paid particular attention, I thought, to cleaning and lubing the pistol. No idea how I got water into the mainspring.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 am

Is there any chance the Mark III internal security locking screw or the backside of it is dragging on the frame? This can cause the exact same symptoms you've described. If the back of the screw is not sitting flush you can touch it up with a few strokes of a file.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 am

I can't find anything dragging on the housing. Time remove the spring for cleaning or replace the assembly.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

If you do take it apart just be careful of the ballbearing because it will go flying. Again ask me how I know......

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Since it's been rusty, I'd smear it all with some Hoppes gun grease while reassembling it.

After cleaning it all up best you can, of course.

If you have some Ospho ( phosphoric acid ) that will kill the rust and give it a protective coating. It will also remove bluing, so watch out not to get it where it might show..