Ruger triggers

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

3strokes

Ruger triggers

Post by 3strokes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 pm

I know that, probably, Bullseye will be the first responder.

As Ruger triggers go (22/45) the trigger is a curve (a crescent) that rotates around its axis (the trigger pin).
This makes it almost impossible to pull or squeeze the trigger back in a straight line parallel to the barrel.

I was thinking has anybody ever considered making a trigger like the Wilson combat, where the motion of squeezing is straight back (and not in an arch, where the trigger finger, of necessity slides along the trigger as its pulling it back)?
Member NRA, CSSA and NFA (the last two in Canada).

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm

The action of the Ruger is counter to many traditional trigger designs. The Ruger trigger rotates around the pivot pin with the disconnector traversing forward and pulling on the sear, rotating it to disengage the hammer. Most 1911 style pistols use the trigger bow to push the sear and causing it to rotate forward and disengage the hammer. To accomplish this task with a Ruger 22 Auto you'd have to have a trigger with a bow and then modify the frame to make it activate the sear from the front side. That modification would necessitate a sear design change to a type more like the 1911 has inside it, plus a new disconnector configuration. I'm not sure the benefits would outweigh the costs of redesigning a very simple system to one slightly more complicated in operation. This is one reason why the Ruger trigger has such a pronounced curvature to the factory trigger.

R,
Bullseye