.22 For Defense

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I will still carry a minimum of 38+P, .381 ZCP is ok for a backup. Not too old yet to carry a .22
I'd stick with the .38 as long as possible.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:I will still carry a minimum of 38+P, .381 ZCP is ok for a backup. Not too old yet to carry a .22
I'd stick with the .38 as long as possible.
Been seriously thinking of going back to my SA Micro. It is a better point and shoot gun that the Smith due to the grip angle.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 am

If you are going to carry a .22 for defense I would suggest the hottest round you can find. Last fall I carried a p22 in my cruiser to put down deer hit by cars, I was impressed with the damage CCI Stingers did on a large doe the semi didn't quite finish off. The standard velocity stuff wasn't too impressive.

On a side note I had one guy I that took a road killed deer dig out the 40 s&w 180gr gold dot I hit the deer with, it went about 12 to 14" deep and mushroomed textbook like. I've been similarly impressed with good old 158gr SJHP 38spl.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 pm

I actually meant this topic to be about home defense, not carry. There's a hundred better choices for personal carry. We here in CA don't have a chance to carry (legally) because they don't issue like other states. I'm speaking about people who have 22's and are not carry people. I'd have at least a .380, or a little .38 spl. revolver if I was to carry. No, I'm talking about regular people, like the little old lady across the hall, or the guy who goes plinking now and again. Is a 22 good enough, or should they plunk down, $700-800 on the odd chance that some moron will invade their home? You carry people are lucky you're not in Ca., but you do go on a bit. TJ

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Home defense is a bit different. I put my SP101, .357 near the bed (concealed) and my LCR22 is hidden at the other end of the house so that no one can get between me and a gun.

Depending on the situation, if time allows, I would get something bigger from the safe. In my home, is where I feel most vulnerable and where I am the most prepared. I don't own a shotgun, but if I did it would be my first choice.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks Jack, I gave my SP101 .357 to my daughter. She's in a more vulnerable place than I am. A pump 12 ga. would be the most effective home defense weapon, I believe. Not too much over penetration (I wouldn't want to kill my neighbors) and just the sound of it racking back would put the thing in a whole new perspective for Mr. Intruder. It just has a way of saying, "Get out!" TJ
Last edited by teejay on Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:54 pm

teejay wrote:You carry people are lucky you're not in Ca., but you do go on a bit. TJ
Years ago, and I mean a lot of years ago, I spent some time in CA on business a couple of times and that is one place I really would not care to live, Ill is another one.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 pm

I fled California for the free states many years ago. My original shop was there but I decided to move when they upped the restrictions with the CA '89' AWB. Nice climate but I could see the writing on the wall and bugged out.

R,
Bullseye

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Smart move, Bullseye. In '82, we passed a law that there would be no further gun laws!!! Ha! What can you do with Senators like Feinstein and Boxer? Still, nice weather. TJ

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:22 am

If all you have is a 22 for home defense better make it a rifle to get the most out of the round...... 22 in the the hand is better than a golf club in a pinch.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 am

I was thinking a Mossy 500 for home defense. A nice pump shotgun gives a nice pattern and a smaller chance of over penetration. I know this isn't a .22 but we're talking home defense which means you have to stop an attacker because you're on your own until back-up arrives, if you had a chance to make a call first.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:30 am

bgreenea3 wrote:If all you have is a 22 for home defense better make it a rifle to get the most out of the round...... 22 in the the hand is better than a golf club in a pinch.
Depends on the club you select, aluminum softball bat would be my choice. Ii also makes a difference if the one breaking in is armed or not. A .22 is a good weapon if he is unarmed, but could get you in a lot of trouble.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Bad guys are getting the worsd end of the ammo shortage. Many people who used to use .22LR for SD have had to move up to larger calibers that are still on the shelves. Since any ammo is more scarce, they can't prcatice as much. So with rusty skills, they have to shoot a bad guy twice as many times, too.

Even worse, more centerfire shooters have switched to shotguns for home defense.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Ammo of any kind is almost non-existant here with the exception of .17 and some shotgun. Powder is a thing of the past. None to be found. I have found a few primers, but they will only sell me 100 at a time.

Will it ( the hoarding) ever end?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Sounds like we'll all be in a fix within a few years. With the "inner city" discontent, their heroes being Rappers, Gang Leaders, Sleazy Sports figures, and corrupt politicians. Their leaders are Panthers, Muslims, and radical "preachers." They are sure to be a handful. Our "Open Door" policy is changing the face of America with people who know nothing of our Founding Fathers, our values, and our culture, let alone the English language. No, things don't look bright for our future. Best we hang on to what we have stashed and hope that some still love Freedom over handouts. TJ