Light Primer Strikes

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 pm

I thought that phrase only applied to Smith and Wesson.... :lol:

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 am

Got the frame back from VQ last week. The invoice said they replaced the hammer & sear.

New problem arose; now the bolt is dragging on something in the frame.

With the barrel unattached to the frame the bolt moves freely. When I assemble the gun, the bolt has resistance when moving. It will not close on its own, it needs to be forced to close. I have not tried to fire it.

I tried the barrel on another frame and had no issues. I tried the frame on another barrel and the problem was still there.

This combination of barrel and frame worked before I sent it back to VQ for the light primer strikes.

I tried Friday & Saturday to get a hold of VQ on the phone but I kept getting the answering machine. I left messages but I have not gotten a return call.

Will keep trying to contact them today.

Vic

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 pm

My first thought is to check the hammer pivot pin and ensure it is all the way in the frame. If there is any play in the pin the right side is not held in the pin boss and will tilt upward under mainspring pressure. Do you still get bolt dragging if the mainspring isn't installed?

R,
Bullseye

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 am

Good suggestion Bullseye, I'll check tonight.

thanks

Vic

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 am

Danm Bullseye..your one smart fella.

It was the hammer pin. The frame was shipped back & forth to VQ without grips. PIn must have gotten bumped when they shipped it back.

works like a champ now.

thanks

Vic

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Lots of experience dude! I'm glad this was an easy fix for you. Hope you get a chance to go out and enjoy that pistol soon.

R,
Bullseye

Chopperdoc

Last Update

Post by Chopperdoc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 am

Well I though it was fixed....I put a smaller red dot on it for my wife to shoot; went out to the range to zero it and the light primer strikes started again.

I called Brownells, I had bought it through them, and told them I now had a $360 paperweight. Even though I had bought it back in June, they said to send it back and they would give me a full refund!

Thanks for all your help. I wonder how many others have had this issue with the VQ frames.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm

So you've decided to give up on the VQ frame? Your choice but I believe this problem is solvable. The big question is; which is causing the problem the frame or the bolt/receiver? Is the bolt a VQ product? How smoothly does it move within the receiver tube? Does the hammer fall with some "Pop" to it?

R,
Bullseye

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Yea. I really felt like it was nothing more than an expensive paperweight. I have so many other guns that this was just a pain. No time to mess with it. When they offered a refund I really didn't think twice.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:51 am

You gave it a good run and it just didn't work out. I understand. Once you lose confidence in something, it is tough to gain it back. Sometimes it's best to just recoup your losses. In your case it sounds like what you ended up losing was some time invested because of the offer for a full refund on the product by Brownells. This speaks well for them, as they stand fully behind the products they sell.

R,
Bullseye