22-45 stuck after reassembly

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

xtratoy

22-45 stuck after reassembly

Post by xtratoy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 am

I know in the past I have read how to remedy this problem but I want to be sure I do it right. I picked up a 6" standard barrel assembly to put on my MKII 22-45. I took off the 22-45 barrel and first assembled with the new MKII 6" assembly without the bolt to check fit of the barrel to the frame. everything went together fine. I took the mainspring assembly out and inserted the bolt and slid it in and out a few times. Everything fine. I then put the mainspring assembly back in with a bit of difficulty getting everything lined up, but it went together and cammed closed just like normal once the hammer lever seemed to line up. I then pulled the bolt to cock the hammer and noticed it was tough pulling bolt back and I also had to give a slight push to get it closed. I pulled the trigger and no hammer fall. I am able to pull the bolt open and close it but at about midway there is resistance both ways. Now I can't get the mainspring out to disassemble the gun to try to get it right. Where do I go from here. I think I recall maybe having to drive the sear pin out??? I am not sure and don't want to damage anything beyond what has already happened. Not a happy evening at the moment.

xtratoy

Post by xtratoy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:20 am

I found this http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3920 13 threads down and was able to remove mainspring housing with the muzzle into wood method of hammer drop. I haven't tried to reassemble again yet as I don't understand what went wrong. Does anyone have any ideas of what may have happened. The only thing I changed was the barrel assembly. I never changed anything in the lower receiver and it worked fine before I took it apart. The hammer and sear pins are in their proper position. A great big THANK YOU to Bullseye for the great information he provides on his site!
Last edited by xtratoy on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

xtratoy

Post by xtratoy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:29 am

I got it back together and working. It looks like I missed the hammer strut and had it pinched against the plastic frame by looking at the indents the hammer strut made in the frame. Everything is working fine now. I need to find a MKII complete lower and a bolt for my original barrel now. The original barrel on my 22-45 was the blue 4" bull barrel with target sights. here is what it looks like now. I looked for awhile for a KMK6 standard pistol but then this barreled action dropped into my lap.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:17 am

What also happened was the hammer was cocked, causing the MSH to pinch against it when you tried to swing it out of the frame. The block of wood allowed the hammer to move forward and then you were able to swing out the housing and correct the hammer strut problem. Another way to do this is turn the pistol downward, like you did with the block of wood, and squeeze the trigger and hold it. Then take a mallet or block of wood and rap the back of the bolt, firmly, to move the hammer forward. Either method will work, the muzzle strike to the block of wood just imparts more force to move the hammer out of the cocked position.

Nice looking combination on your 22/45.

R,
Bullseye

oldfart64

stuck after reassembly.

Post by oldfart64 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:26 pm

well, having just had a similar experience, if you can get it back apart, look at the sear and see if it has flipped backwards. if you don't lock the safety before removing either the hammer or trigger parts it is very easy for it to flip out of position. cost me a half hour to figure this one out.

:oops: