Ruger MKI trigger replacement

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

xtratoy

Ruger MKI trigger replacement

Post by xtratoy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Can a Ruger MKII trigger be used as a replacement drop in trigger for a MKI or earlier pistol? Mine is a Standard pistol with no MK designation. made around 1975. Someone previously purposely or accidentally put enough pressure on the trigger to take the round curve out of it where your finger pulls. It isn't bent so far as to impede firing, but I would like to put a properly shaped trigger in it. What are the chances that the trigger could be rebent back into shape without breaking?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Yes the actual exterior dimensions are the same between Mark I and Mark II triggers.

To remove a Mark I trigger there is a 1/8" "E" clip along the left hand side of the trigger body (shown as A34-1 on the below diagram). You must pry off the clip to release the trigger pivot pin from the frame. Once you've replaced the trigger on the pin and placed the pin back into the frame simply reseat the "E" clip on the pin.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

xtratoy

Post by xtratoy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Great! I will get one ordered! Thanks agin for your help.

xtratoy

quick question

Post by xtratoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:44 pm

I am getting ready to replace my trigger with the replacement I picked up. What do you use to get the e-clip off? There isn't much room to grab it. Will I have enough play to change the trigger without removing the sear? I am wondering if there is enough movement in the disconnector assembly to just be able to raise the trigger enough to swap it. It has been over 5 years since I completely disassembled any of my MKII's and this is my first MKI.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 pm

You can use a Jeweler's screwdriver to pry off the 'E' clip. If for some reason you cannot pry it off rotate it around 180° and then push it off the pin. Once the pivot pin is removed you should have plenty of room to extend up the trigger and remove it from the disconnector. The disconnector lever has a lot of swing room as long as the tab is not pushed into the sear groove.

R,
Bullseye

xtratoy

Post by xtratoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 am

Thanks!! I was thinking about the push it off method you mentioned. I am waiting for it to warm up some before I attempt it. Either that or bring it in the house where it is warm enough to do it. I cleaned it up and now I can see what I am working on. It looked like it had never been cleaned since it was new.