.22 lr conversion kits for bullseye......

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.22 lr conversion kits for bullseye......

Post by cousin jack » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:24 am

Whew! Haven't been on in awhile! Computer went down several months ago, and it took me awhile to find you again!

Question:

I shoot a Ruger 22/45 with a Millet red dot for gallery bullseye, and it's fine... but I also have a beautiful old wadcutter 1911 in the safe, with a superb trigger. I decided to get a Bob Marvel conversion unit for the waddie, but his business seems to be in some sort of transition, and no units are listed for sale.... he's advertised a waiting list, though. Has anyone any knowledge of the Tactical Solution's .22lr conversion, or the Kimber? Are either of them competitive enough?

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 am

Jack,
I have no personal experience with either of the two mentioned, I use a Marvel unit one myself, but will pass along items I've seen posted on the Bullseye List and another shooter that I know who used the Tactical Solutions.

In a nutshell neither will provide BE accuracy for Expert or higher classifications. Both will work just fine for casual shooting or plinking, but our requirements are a bit more accuracy demanding.

The guy I know who used the TS conversion, liked it at first. But, as his shooting improved found it didn't meet his needs and he wound up going with a Pardini and his scores have jumped to very high Expert and Master class.

I see Marvel Unit 1's for sale periodically on the Bullseye list, you may want to consider posting a WTB for one there.

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/

Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:27 am

Jack
Go for the Nelson Conversion. My favorite by far.

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/

Bob Marvel's latest unit is a Nelson with Bob's magic touch on the chambering. Call Larry Nelson and discuss your intended use, ammo available and chambering.

The Kimber and TS units are not top bullseye conversions. Seems only the Bob Marvel designed ones* are. And the Kart types too, of course.

*Nelson, Advantage Arms, and Marvel Precision
Last edited by Hardball on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:23 pm

The fixed barrel set-up Bob uses in his conversion unit helps make his platform accurate, that and the Shilen barrel blanks.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:54 am

I have a Kimber conversion on an Essex frame. I like it, but it isn't up to Bullseye standards. The Kimber needs high velocity ammo to cycle well. It has good sights and is a great trainer for the 1911, but your Ruger will run rings around it from a precision accuracy standpoint.

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks, guys.... appreciate the help....kinda like that Nelson conversion; didn't even know it existed!
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Just picked up an Advantage Arms conversion, because the Nelsons' were not available, and plopped it on a dedicated Remington 1911 R1 receiver. It's the locked barrel version.

I'm going to foray into .22 Distinguished matches at Perry and thought I'd give it a try.

A change from all the .38 spl and 9mm PPC I've been shooting lately.

They seem like pretty good shooters!

Jim

ps: just picked up a Nelson, too... can't have too many conversions, let's you buy more 1911's to mount them on!