M&P .22 compact

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

M&P .22 compact

Post by greener » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:48 pm

New .22 from S&W. Looks good, but how much difference from the Walther p22?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:08 am

Smith works with Walther on some models, it may be very similar to a Walther.

Nice looking pistol, I assume it is intended for inexpensive training as it so closely resembles the centerfire guns.

If I were shopping for a .22 auto, I'd want more barrel but otherwise it is a very attractive design.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:49 am

I had a Walther P22 and wasn't all that impressed with the pistol. Fun to shoot, not easy to shoot accurately and rather cheaply made. They have quite a following. I have a Ruger SR22 which is much better. I'll have to take a look at the Smith.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Years ago, I had a stainless Walther PP in .22lr and it was a good little pistol. It was accurate for its size, but not accurate enough for target shooting and not powerful enough for self-defense.

Eventually I ended up selling it to a fellow who had been looking for one for quite a while.

Now I still shoot .22's but if it's not a tack-driver, then I am not interested.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Topic moved to Rimfire Handguns instead of Rimfire Rifles.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:46 am

Didn't see one at the gun show this weekend.

Thompson

Re: M&P .22 compact

Post by Thompson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 pm

I believe the Smith M&P 22 (full size) was made by Walther for S&W but the M&P 22 Compact is made by Smith. The Compact is about 85% the size of the full size rather the just a shortened frame and slide. The Full size has 12 (10 when capacity is limited by law) round magazines but the Compact has only 10 round capacity. Magazines are not interchangeable.

I have both models and both function great with a variety of ammo. Any problems have been ammo, usually under powered to chamber next round, related rather than mechanical. Accuracy at longer distances is definitely better with the full size as expected but the Compact is accurate on plates to 20-25 yards.

I think the full size has the better trigger but the Compact trigger is better with the magazine safety removed (easily done).
Phil