More on my 41

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Vectorxw8

More on my 41

Post by Vectorxw8 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:14 am

Hello all, well as fate would have it I fell into a deal I could not pass up on an UltraDot sight with rings, covers, extra batteries, the whole nine yards. It’s the 1” Black model and fits on the rail that came with the EWK Arms Model 41 Bully Steel Challenge Barrel, Compensated "Generation 2". So I will be heading off to the range in the near future to zero it in and see how well it works. Because of the size and mounting location I had to put the extension tube on it. It does extend back far enough for my taste however, it does sit way to high for me. Any ideas to get it down some?? As always thanks for the help, Scott

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun May 17, 2015 8:54 pm

Good looking weapon. Have you used an Ultra dot before? When I first purchased mine, the dancing dot drove me crazy but once I got used to it, well, it's real nice.

Good luck

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:48 am

The trick on dot sights is concentrate on the target not the dot..... The dot will magically appear. Trying to focus on the dot will only give you eye strain.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Vectorxw8

Thanks

Post by Vectorxw8 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks much for the advice, This is the first electronic sight I have ever seen so, I don't have any experience with them. The first thing I did was play with the intensity knob. The brightness on the highest setting would take up most of the target at 50 yards, at lower settings the dot takes up less space than the higher settings. I have read several times that I should shoot with both eyes open and focused on the target. No idea how the red dot enters into the picture but it will sure take some getting used to it. Of that I have no doubt! Everyone I have shown it to try to hold the scope close to their eye, like a rifle scope, at least I know that is wrong. Focus on the target with both eyes open then slide the scope into my field of vision?? I am sure it will take some getting used to. Scott :)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:30 am

It wont take as long as you think to get use to. The biggest mistake I see when newbie's shoot my guns with the dot sights is that they point the muzzle up to high and don't find the dot. I just tell them to start rotating the muzzle down and it will show up. I've had so many after shooting with a dot sight say "I have to get one of these". For us old folks who don't see the iron sights it's a life saver. Most of them shoot tighter groups with the dot sight.

And yes to the dot intensity. I run mine as low as I can for the lighting conditions. Most of the time I'm shooting in a indoor range with poor lighting. If on auto brightness it over drives the dot. So I run manual intensity most all the time. For those that only have auto I place a piece of black electrical over the sensor and that will drop it back to the lowest setting.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911