.22 SP-101 at range

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

.22 SP-101 at range

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Finally made it today, to try my new SP and Wolff springs. Three hours and 300 rounds later, I think I like it.

I have a strained shoulder from work (spinning a bus steering wheel all week can do it), and the SP is heavier than what I've been shooting, so I had a hard time getting the sight elevation set. Windage was one click off to left out of the box.

Shot at about 20 yards, and finally settled on four shot groups staying in a three inch ring around the bull. Most holes were inside 2 1/2, at least. 200 rounds of AutoMatch, and 100 of Federal bulk HP. I only had 1 FTF, with the AM, so I think the 13 pound Wolff hammer spring is a go. It's the lightest they offer.

No issues with the SP, besides brushing out the extractor, bore and chambers every hundred rounds. I'm not wild about the optic sight. The green dot kinda blanks out the blade, so I did better with a twelve o'clock hold instead of six. Hopefully next trip I'll shoot better, as today the SP didn't quite match what I usually do with my Bearcats on paper.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:44 am

Sounds like you had a good time getting reacquainted with the "improved" SP.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Sounds like a good day. Maybe I really do need one.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am

I don't know if I'll ever get "used to" that big optic front blade. I still hope that eventually someone will aftermarket a regular blade replacement.

My shoulder has been a nuisance for two weeks. I can't leave it alone long enough for major improvement. Healing has been two steps forward, one step back. I hope once it's good again I'll get better than 3 inch groups at 20 yards.

In the Gunblast review, one in a Ransom rest did 1-3 inches at 25 yards with eight different ammos, averaging just under two. So it's definitely not a target gun.

I had forgot something about Rugers until I cleaned the SP. Ruger tends to have a loose threaded elevation screw on their adjustable sights. If you press the sight down, you can practically blow on the screw and move it. At some point in handling the gun, it moved, but I remembered the sight base being level with the ears, and the slot being aligned at 2 and 8 o'clock. Remembered because at the range I thought it a neat coincidence both sight screws ended up turned to the same place.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 pm

I hope your shoulder starts mending. Otherwise a trip to the doc may be in order. You don't want to develop and bone spurs in that region.

R,
Bullseye