Dry fire Buckmarks?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

abutt1

Dry fire Buckmarks?

Post by abutt1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 am

Still doing my research on what pistol to buy. How about dry firing the Browning Buckmark 5.5 target pistol. Any problem? Also recall reading in this forum, I think, that the Buckmark has plastic surounding or near the firing pin, and some of the cleaners attack plastic? Being a model railroader, I have a light oil made by LaBell that is plastic compatible for trains. Maybe I'd be better using that?

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:05 pm

Do not dry fire a Buckmark. Insert a snap cap first or it's very likely that you will damage your chamber. Depending on the model there can be several different plastic parts on them.

FWIW, I bought one, sold it within a month. That particular model was not for me, since then I've handled others that would most likely appeal to me.

abutt1

Buckmarks...

Post by abutt1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:18 pm

Tbag...Maybe you could expand a bit. What models did you like and what did you not like...and why?

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Buckmarks...

Post by Tbag » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:05 pm

abutt1 wrote:Tbag...Maybe you could expand a bit. What models did you like and what did you not like...and why?
Bought some form of the Camper, and sold it. Had second thoughts on how it felt in my hand, hated the idea that I needed a screw driver to take it apart. Further when you take it apart you are actually removing the sights and that can lead to return to zero issues. From there you are dealing with wimpy washers that one can lose or flatten out from too much torque. I had to return the gun to Browning actually, it was out of spec. on some internal parts.

I will say it had a nice trigger, and it can be made nicer with just flipping the hammer spring. I have tried the newer grips URX and UDX, both of which are a great improvement over some of their older styles.

My guess is the only Browning that I would buy right now is the Medilist. If you want one of the nicest .22's ever made, go out and hunt one down, in the end you won't be sorry. Would say I like it more than a S&W M41.

You know after going through the issues I had with the Buckmark, I just can't understand why some folks complain how hard it is to put together a Ruger MK whatever.

My intent is not to bash Browning, I actually currently own a couple of thier firearms, and have enjoyed them greatly. My Gold Stalker is about to get ready for another brutal winter in the swamp.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:04 am

I almost got a Buckmark. I think the one I was going to get was called the Bullseye. I ended up not getting it because there aren't as many after market parts and the regular parts are a bit harder to come by, also I just liked the look of the mk3 Hunter more :oops:

After I got my Hunter I went to the range and met a guy who almost got the Hunter instead of the Buckmark (if memory serves he had a standard URX). We both decided to shoot each others pistols. The only differences I noticed was that it seemed to kick a tad less ( not enough less in my opinion to make a difference) and the trigger was overall a bit better. The guy that shot my Hunter just said it was about what he expected, but he figured he'd save the extra $100 for another pistol.

So the point is both pistols are good, although now that I have my VQ trigger in, I'd give the better trigger pull to my Hunter 8)