Has Browning stopped making Buckmarks?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

abutt1

Has Browning stopped making Buckmarks?

Post by abutt1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:30 pm

After weeks of research I've finally decided the gun for me is a Browning Buckmark 5.5...either the Target or Hunter 5.5, or a Contour 5.5. Both having a contiuous ramp for mouinting red dots or a scope.
Now, just try and find one. My gunshop has been in touch with distributors all over the country. No soap! And Browning's giving no dates for new shipments. This always happens to me.
I could get all the Rugers I want, here in CT where they're made. But at 44 oz, I find that a bit heavy for my tired body. Plus, everyone has a Ruger.
I guess I'll just have to be patient. The money is burning a hole in my pocket...and skip the jokes. No one's getting it without a Buckmark.

Allan :cry:

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Has Browning stopped making Buckmarks?

Post by toyfj40 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:51 pm

abutt1 wrote:Browning Buckmark 5.5... just try and find one.
Hmmm. I looked at "Davidson's" (ie. GalleryOfGuns.com )
and they have a bunch of "Campers" and an 'NRA' special,
but that's it.
Sports-South shows 'none'...

it'd be interesting to know why the inventory is so low...

abutt1

Post by abutt1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:22 pm

My dealer feels the Summer has had its run and now the Fall is heavy into hunting, etc. And maybe were all due for a shipment. Annoying thing is you can't get anything out of Browning. There's a lot of Buckmarks, but only four of them have the continuous ramp for easy mounting of a red dot...actually only two, since I only want a 5.5. No need for a 7" barrel if your mouinting a red dot, which is in heavy use in my club.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Have you checked Hoffman's? I was just up there last week checking out Ruger MKIII's.

abutt1

Post by abutt1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:52 pm

No. But I will. And I also want to check the new super sport store Carbellas(?) in East Hartford.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:12 am

As do I. May wait a few weeks though; I'm sure it's going to be mobbed this weekend and the next week or so.

wlambert
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by wlambert » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:44 am

I go to the Cabela's in Hamburg. The trick is to open the store and be out by ten or so. Late evening can be ok, but never decide to buy something ten minutes before closing. The check out lines can be amazing.

wlambert
NRA Benefactor
Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League
Guthsville Pistol League

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:49 pm

I'm a bit confused.....

Sorry if I'm wrong, or read your post wrong.

But you say you're looking for a "Browning". Then go on to quote the "Target" or "Hunter"...

Are those not Ruger guns?

If you're asking your gun dealer to get you a "Browning Target" or "Browning Hunter", maybe he would have a hard time getting one??

I didn't think both Ruger and Browning have a "Target" and "Hunter" models.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Browning appears to list at least ONE-"Hunter" and
three 'Target' models...

http://www.Browning.com/products/catalo ... value=006B

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Browning makes a Hunter model and a target model. The target model has shrouded sights. It looks like the field model is pretty much the target withou the sight shrouds. They also have a "Bullseye" model (fluted barrel and fiber optic sights). At least that's what I see in the gun shops around here.

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:08 pm

OK, I just didn't remember them when I was looking at them, deciding between the Browning and the Ruger.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:32 pm

You can always get both and do an extended trial. I tried that with SWMBO. Don't think she bought it.

I bought a BM Standard. It is a very nice shooting pistol: accurate and not terribly picky about ammo. Good grip and good trigger. I didn't have a very postive opinion about them before buying the Standard although a couple of folks who had one gave them very positive recommendations. The Standard has changed my mind about them. Between the two, I think I prefer Rugers, but I can't find anything wrong with a Buck Mark.

abutt1

Post by abutt1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:30 am

Greener's got it right. The terms Target and Hunter are labels applied within the Buckmark line. Many of them offering both 5.5 and 7" barrels within the same group. My gripe is that with all those variations one can't find the one you want to purchase. I did try calling Browning Customer Service, and got a sweet little gal who seemed surprised that Browning even made guns? I might take up knitting. If I wanted to go for bigger bucks, there are several Medalists and Challangers still around. The Medalist, with its beautiful grips and three additional weights, adjustable rear sight anf trigger pull, in a wooden case can be had from $900. up to $2500. I'm tempted.