Another satisfied MKIII owner...

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

hogdogs

Another satisfied MKIII owner...

Post by hogdogs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:49 pm

I have owned mine several weeks and have around a thousand rounds without nary a jam. I wasn't as happy with the mag safety politically correct crap. Fer cryin out loud who ever heard of a field strip instruction telling the operator to put in a magazine and pull the trigger? Well I was sent a link to the stripping info by bullseye and than I was later sent a mag safety eliminator washer set and the link to that job...
I am sure I will learn more...
Brent
Last edited by hogdogs on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online Brent!

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Another satisfied MKIII owner...

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:09 pm

hogdogs wrote:Fer cryin out loud who ever heard of a field strip instruction
telling the operator to put in a magazine and pull the trigger?
welcome to GunTalk... something tells me yer gonna fit-in real well...
--toy 8)

hogdogs

Post by hogdogs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:10 pm

I will be adding the volq sear and clark trigger... just need an extra fifty bucks to spend...
Brent

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Sear and trigger are worthy additions to the pistol.

saluki_chris

Mark III new owner

Post by saluki_chris » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:14 pm

I purchased the Mark 3 22/45 5.5" blued April 3rd. I have had one bad round in the gun out of 3000+ I have shot so far. I bought it because my other gun habit (trap shooting) became too expensive. I love the gun thus far, but was curious about the modifications that I have heard about. I performed the "Slingshot" mod, but don't quite understand its purpose. What does this allow me to do differently than before? Also, where do I find the necessary parts to perform the mag safety feature? :D

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:02 am

1 bad round in 3k? Darned good ammo!

The bolt/slide on most semiautos will lock open after the last round in a mag is fired. If you insert a loaded mag and pull back on the bolt/slide and release it, like a slingshot, the bolt/slide will close and chamber the round. On the 22/45, the bolt will not close. On my 22/45, I just thumb the bolt release as I slingshot the bolt. Suppose I ought to get around to the mod one of these days.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:15 am

Welcome, Brent! You'll learn a bunch here!

SD

hogdogs

Post by hogdogs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:13 am

Saluki-Chris,
The washer mod to eliminate that SERIOUSLY STUPID mag safety is a home made thing from 2 small washers. Mine were made by someone else but Bullseye has a thread on it. Good pics and instruction. I installed mine in under 30 minutes and it was my first time going deeper than field strip. as for the sling-shot mod I just slam a full mag and drop the bolt with the release.
As for the sear and trigger I was promised it makes a world of difference... I just hope I don't wind up with an :twisted: automatic :twisted: like some have experienced :wink: :wink: :wink: ... That would scare me so bad I might be afraid of shooting up milk jugs with an auto pistola....
Brent

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm

I don't think the mag safety comes under the category of "seriously stupid." It does come under the category of something has changed. The arguments that in a SD situation the mag safety is better/worse seem to be evenly divided. For a .22 target pistol, it really doesn't matter. I have 5 pistols with mag safeties and 3 without. All I have to remember is that some fire without the mag inserted and some don't. I just find it better to remember something about the gun always being loaded, when you put your finger on the trigger and where you point the gun.

I have 2 MKIII's with mag safeties and a MKII. Other than steps in field stripping, I treat them both the same.

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Yeah....I have no problems with the mag safety. I've never owned a gun without it. :)

hogdogs

Post by hogdogs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 pm

So I ask... What does the mag safety do for safety? An empty pistol with no mag inserted is pretty much safe... What IMHO is stupid is the fact that the gun needs a magazine inserted and a pull of the trigger to strip. When I render my fire arm empty, ready to strip I don't want to be re-inserting a magazine. Now I do not need to put the magazine in to strip. I also do not have the possible resistance created by a part I see no need in on my hammer. I would never tell anyone to modify their firearm. To each his own in that dept.
Brent

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm

As far as the magazine as part of the strip, that's sort of a chicken/egg question, in that you have to be able to release the hammer and let it fall forward so you can remove the bolt stop. You can't release the hammer and let it fall forward without the magazine, so there it is.

I think there is some safety in that most target shooters will remove the magazine after they *think* they have shot a string. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I've seen plenty of shooters loose count and put their pistols on the bench after only 4/5 or 9/10 rounds. But they've also developed the habit of removing their magazine after a string, so while its not great that they've put a loaded weapon on the bench while others might go down range and repair targets, at least the gun won't fire. It's also nice to know that if a novice faces a jam or some other apparent malfunction, if he drops the magazine out he is a little bit safer while trying to figure out what the problem is. As the others have said, the Mark series is not really a combat weapon, but rather a target and trainer.

hogdogs

Post by hogdogs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 pm

melchloboo, I too mean no disrespect to anyone. I am a new member and don't want ill will right outta the chute. Ya'll will find I often seem a little curt at times and I despise ALL warning labels and most devices that remove responsibility from a user allowing a dumbing down of society. Now for the item in mention it is a FACT that all us responsible gun handlers (as we all should be) no one relies on a safety to render the firearm "safe" it is the duty of the person in control of it make it SAFE. If you drop a mag with one in the pipe it should not be able to fire with that mag safety. However if he reinstalls the mag loaded and has not pulled the slide back awaiting the walk to the line or if another shooter in his group (consider a person in "training" here) is next to shoot picks it up inserts mag and is under the impression it is "safe" until he pulls the slide back as taught by the owner pulls the trigger we have an ND and it may be fatal. Many people (me included) often sets down a known empty pistol with out activating the trigger/main safety. I cannot put my Savage .22lr rifle in safe mode until I lift my bolt to cock the hammer. I not only see the mag safety as a useless politically correct good intention I also see it as potentially dangerous device just waiting for a brain fart to make a possibly lethal dangerous discharge. YMMV and this opinion is 100% guaranteed my own and will give a 100% money back refund if you are not fully satisfied... :wink:
Brent

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Its impossible to predict one way or another whether a safety device will actually provide safety, or if someone's reliance on it will cause an injury.

Personally I think the difference is in match conditions where a competitor's mind is elsewhere. The fact is, he must remove the magazine and reload for the next string, and quite often he will do this before the line is declared safe and everyone advances to repair targets. So with the mag out, the gun is safe even though you are 100% correct he ought to have checked the chamber visually. At my range a lot of us now stick a piece of orange weedwacker down the barrel as a flag and courtesy to the other shooters. I understand your point, but I think the scenario I describe is more likely than yours.

Its a pointless debate though, the best evidence would be statistics on what actually occurs in firearm accidents. Perhaps ruger found that a lot of supposedly empty guns were causing accidents even though the mags were out. So they put 2 and 2 together and said well maybe this will make the gun safer. Of course there is the law of unintended consequences, which I think is your point. I've also seen rumors that if you drop the new mark 3 just right the "loaded chamber" lever/indicator can cause a discharge against the cartridge rim, which I'm sure ruger didn't see coming, assuming the rumor is true.

I actually like it, because if someone wants to hold my gun I can let them and I know they can't dryfire unless I also give them the empty mag. That said, none of my carry centerfire weapons have safeties, so believe me I understand both sides of the argument.