Took Henry out to play

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Took Henry out to play

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 am

Well here in Michigan it was sunny about 70F and just little windy about Noon, so we took Henry out to the range so he could play and of course Bear the range dog had to go also. Nice thing about 12 minutes to the range is e can go play for half hour to an hour and not have to leave Ma at home alone too long. We shot it with the standard rear and the HiViz front yesterday and it is a great 25 to 30 foot pinker gun, We had an extra scope laying around so last night we put that on Henry's back. Hod one of the 10/22's that needed sighting in also, just a stocker with trigger work, We got that done and just shot Henry a little because we had left the ammo we wanted home on the bench. Here are the results 10 shots each of Eley Sport and Fiocchi #22CRN. Henry has a good trigger, no creep or slop and quite crisp for a low price gun, a little on the heavy side but stopped at my smith on the way home and he said not much can really be done. Other than heavy the trigger is great with very little pre or over travel. Image Image Not bad for an old man with a new gun, 10 shots of each ammo at 25 yards, 2 shots and adjust scope, reload with other ammo, adjust scope and another 10 rounds. Those circles are 3/4 inch diameter. These 2 ammo's have shot very well in a lot of my guns so I stick with them, wish there was local dealer though.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Looks like there's nothing wrong with that rifle - or the shooter either! Looks like your pretty good with that levergun.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Bullseye wrote:Looks like there's nothing wrong with that rifle - or the shooter either! Looks like your pretty good with that levergun.

R,
Bullseye
It has been difficult but it is getting easier now to be a Southpaw. About 10 years ago I started having some vision problems with my right eye, bothersome but not really a problem. About 6 years ago found I had become left eye dominant due to some central retina damage in teh righ eye causing the center of vision to blur, Well I can now shoot a rifle left handed, pistol either side or both and shotgun either side also. Not the best but good enough to enjoy. This is my first lever gun and it is a fun shooter and not bad for accuracy either, especially for only $250.00 and tax.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 pm

No action FEELS quite as good as a lever gun 8) Nice groups that are a credit to you and BEAR. Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Looks like you have a keeper! You don't have to throw a whole bunch of money at a firearm to get a good shooter. Hmm, now if our government could just think like that...but I digress. I paid $35 for a Marlin 60 forty years ago and that has always been one great shooting little rifle.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Bullseye,forty years go 35.00 as dam near a lot of money, $50.00 would hve been a lot. Very happy with my purchase, decent looking wood and really not a bad trigger, other than being a little bit heave. Just builds up my finger strength and don.t mess with a good thing. :) :)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 pm

KAZ wrote:No action FEELS quite as good as a lever gun 8) Nice groups that are a credit to you and BEAR. Regards
Had I realized a lever gun was that much fun I would have bought one yeas ago. Got a couple of them plastic prairie dog spinner targets, the Henry with the HiViz at 25 to 30 feet should be some goad plinking fun.
Was in the local Petsmart other day for dogie food and treats, got our usual bag of Senior Pedigree, Bear love it and thves on i. Got a couple bags of treats also, got canine carry out stuff looks just like pieces of meat. Puparonis are for guys who have a regular job not us old retired guys and dogs. Looks ike a few cold days had again, soon as it is decent again Bear and Henry and I are going out to play

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 am

Well, SPRING is just round the corner, and it's blowing in here with a windy self. Those plastic prairie dogs are in a world of hurt and don't have a clue what you and the BEAR have planned for them 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:51 am

KAZ wrote:Well, SPRING is just round the corner, and it's blowing in here with a windy self. Those plastic prairie dogs are in a world of hurt and don't have a clue what you and the BEAR have planned for them 8)
Not exactly sure which corner though, here in Saginaw Michigan most any weather can happen even into May. Jus remembered a photo my Mother had of a snowstorm of about a foot in early May, found the picture in the desk and it is dated May 9th 1923.
Old Petey the Plastic Prairie Dog is a pretty tough character. Bought one about a year ago and another just last week. The old one has been shot up with many 1000's of rounds and is still pretty much intact, he does.t spin too Good sometimes as his midsection is probably more holes than plastic. Got 2 now so can shoot one while the other is spinning. Will be fun with the Henry and my old 4 digit carbine with the HiViz sights at 25 feet for just plain fun shooting. Maybe I can learn to shoot like Chuck Connors used to.

blueridgeranger

Post by blueridgeranger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Hello Bearandoldman and all
well, i must admit that a lever action, model 39A Marlin (bought in 1976) to be exact with a less expensive (new words for cheap) Tasco 4X scope, and 550 round Federal from Walmart at twenty - five yards gave me my best target ever. five in one hole, and it is a small hole...oh well, that was a few years ago.
next rifle into the gun safe, or do I have to buy another safe will be the Browning lever, that will remain with out a scope, just so I can see how close I miss without the optics.
By the by, I found out about forty years ago that I am left eye dominant, but right handed...also ambidexterous...just as clumsy with my left hand as with my right. To make a long story short, it is fun watching the guys chins drop whenever you change sides, and keep putting the bullet in the black or at least really close.
bearandoldman, all the best, keep up the good stuff and take care
all the best to all
blueridgeranger

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:53 am

blueridgeranger, you kn ow when I first discovered that eye problem and tried to shoot left handed, I was totally and completely unsafe to be near when trying to handle a long gun on that side. Those problems have pretty much disappeared and I am now fairly adept at left handed things. Amazing, but it takes a long time to break 65 year old habits but it can be done.
A few years back when at the indoor range I belonged too, I have 2 Ruger MarkII 5.5 inch 22/45's and wanted to try something. Asked the man in charge, from a safety and rules viewpoint, Can I shoot one pistol in each hand, his answer was I don't know, can you. Yes I can and it was fun, have not done that in a while will give it a try again one of these days. Right now Henry is new and interesting.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 am

baom,as sweet as Henry is shooting,don't you just know that once it gets broke in it will be a bug hole shooter. Now, because KAZ and I hold yourself and BEAR in such high regard we are willing to get it past that pesky 2K round break in if you will only send it our way 8)
blue, Welcome you will fit right in. My Brother grew up with one of those 39As and he spent every spare dime on ammo. He could shoot rocks in the air every time and match heads were easy. He is still one of the finest shots I've ever known and the credit goes to that 39. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:05 am

KAZ, as far as breaking in a gun, I really do not believe in that hokum as far as I am concerned. All the guns I have purchased in my lifetime have all shot pretty well right out of the box. I bought a 10/22 DSP last year just because it looked good with the walnut sporter checkered stock, just like a real gun. That thing shot great out of the box also, still may not have 1K through it yet The DSP is stock except fot the trigger work by my local smith and it has a foam pressure pad under the barrel near the fore end. Here is a target from last summer when it was still really new. I was thinking of having Nemohunter redo the barrel but how much more accuracy do I really need. Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Well I didn't much think you and BEAR would fall for that :wink: Nice work with that 10/22, mine likes a piece of rubber bike tire tube under the front. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:14 pm

KAZ, that is about what I used, mine is a piece of tool box drawer line and just a little thinner than an inner tube. Had to use a couple of thickness to get what I wanted. Whatever works is the main thing, I also have a T and the barrel has been floated but it shoots the best with a pressure pad also, a lot of them do. My birch stock carbine and my 4 digit Overton walnut stocked guns both shoot better with the barrel band left on?????? who knows. You can put an awful lot of money into these guns but does it result in accuracy improvement proportional to the money invested?????? The T gun shoots CCI Blazer very well, not bad for fairly inexpensive ammo. Shot some CCI Green Tag in a couple of guns but did not see accuracy increase in proportion to the cost, for 3X cost it did not shoot 3X accuracy. target from the T shot last JuneImage