Just trying to catch up

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Just trying to catch up

Post by greener » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:01 pm

While I was waiting for the NICS check on the SR9, I noticed 10/22's at a fairly good price. Shot fairly well off hand, unsupported, but I couldn't see the front sight all that well. So I've added a scope. Now all I need to do is find out how well it shoots.

I'm still behind Len in number and scope size. For the next one should I go for a Henry or an Anschutz? Just to catch up.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Well, I like that 10/22, and you've come to the right place to get great advice on what you should acquire next. I'm not sure bearansoldman are catchable,but you can give them a run for their money 8) The answer on a choice between an Annie or HENRY is easy. If, you hurry on the HENRY, as in right after you get the 10/22 sorted out you could have HENRY V and that smooth lever will put a guaranteed smile on your face and shoot anything you feed it. The Annie is just one that everyone needs to shoot as it's bolt is well, to bolts what HENRY is to levers. So, you NEED both in time 8)

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:24 pm

You are finally beginning to see the light and the target and the cross hairs, too. HiViz on the Henry and my 4 digit carbine sure do help out these old eye, works good for me.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:46 pm

You guys ain't helpin' a lot here!

I got a Henry in the cabinet callin' my name, but it's .22Mag and I'm afraid if I let myself get started, I'll put myself in the poor house buying ammo for it.

Maybe I'll just take the ol' Winchester 70 Target out. Tomorrow is slated as a range day if the weather cooperates.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:01 pm

Downeaster wrote:You guys ain't helpin' a lot here!

I got a Henry in the cabinet callin' my name, but it's .22Mag and I'm afraid if I let myself get started, I'll put myself in the poor house buying ammo for it.
Might be better off to sell that mag, someone out there must have a home for it. Buy a .22LR gun and have fun shooting, the mag is great for it's intended purpose but you sure can buy a lot of LR plinking ammo for the price of a box of mags. When it come to plinking and fun quantity is very important, or of utmost importance.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:19 pm

KAZ, first and most important, Bear wants to know if your dog has benn cookied recently? You are right about that smooth lever action, it sure is fun to run off a full mag tube at a 3 inch shoot and see at 25 to 30 feet and watch the holes appear, sure will bring a smile to your face. This is the first lever gun I have ever know and up until 8 years ago when I had the right develop a blur in the center I was right eye dominant and of course right handed. Well I have been able to learn to shoot lefty.], man the first attempts at an old man switching his gun handling sides were awkward to damn near dangerous. Well you should see this converted Northpaw shoot the HenryI as a Southpaw, almost looks like I have been doing it all of my life. Persistence does pay off, damn near gave up shooting completely 8 years ago but stayed with it and learned

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Well, the cookie issue is way out of hand! KAZ has a continual scam working that insures a constant flow 8) That is amazing on your success of converting to your off side, I'm not sure that I could pull it off.
Downeaster. I hear you on the virtues of the mag, and the pain of ammo costs! One of the main things I like about HENRY is the way it shoots any thing I load in the tube. I have gone through a brick of Fed bulk and part way of a REm Golden. My other shooters are ammo purist, so I have a nice stock pile of blasting fodder. You know that you are going to go to pick one up! Why waste time with the weather making some nice range days soon. Regards[/img]

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Got to agree. I am not much of a dog trainer but I have been a good dog trainee, Bear has done a good job on me and I obey all the normal commands, like, cookies, food and yes he will bark if his water bowl is empty, plus no staying in bed when the doggie need a morning peepee.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:32 pm

I hear ya on the "quantity".

Wouldn't mind a Henry in LR, but I bought the .22 Mag for a specific purpose (dang foxes pesterin' my chickens...) but if I get the urge for a lot of .22LR shooting, I can take any of 3 handguns or my trusty Winchester 75 Target (I mistyped that as a "70" earlier...) It's older'n dirt, just like me, but it'll still shoot better than I will. Bull barrel, target forestock and a really nice old Williams micrometer peep on it.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll take the ol' gal out for a little exercise tomorrow...

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 pm

No one who owns a Winnie 75 Target is suffering! I do love a peep! You should get it out for a little exercise 8)
baom, you are right in that if there is any training going on you and I are the ones going to school!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Downeaster wrote:I hear ya on the "quantity".
It's older'n dirt, just like me, but it'll still shoot better than I will..
You can' be older than dirt because that is my position. I see you list an occupation, if you still have one and are employed you are a youngster. That old Winny sounbs like a winner, always wanted one when I was young, now the semi;s andd the levers really appeal to me, maybe a pump once again, probably a Henry, they work.

I can not believe my brain and my hands have so much to say, another goal in life has been achieved as this is post 1500.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:47 pm

They say "You're only as old as you feel" and going by that standard, I'm closin' in on three digits. I'm still on the sunny side of 60, but most of my joints can't read a calendar! Mis-spent youth and lotta miles over rough roads, ya know... :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Downeaster wrote:I hear ya on the "quantity".

Wouldn't mind a Henry in LR, but I bought the .22 Mag for a specific purpose (dang foxes pesterin' my chickens...) but if I get the urge for a lot of .22LR shooting, I can take any of 3 handguns or my trusty Winchester 75 Target (I mistyped that as a "70" earlier...) It's older'n dirt, just like me, but it'll still shoot better than I will. Bull barrel, target forestock and a really nice old Williams micrometer peep on it.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll take the ol' gal out for a little exercise tomorrow...
Although .22 mag is better, a .22lr will do a fine job on chicken-eating foxes. My dad kept the area population under control with a Remington.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:09 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Got to agree. I am not much of a dog trainer but I have been a good dog trainee, Bear has done a good job on me and I obey all the normal commands, like, cookies, food and yes he will bark if his water bowl is empty, plus no staying in bed when the doggie need a morning peepee.
Probably too late to impart my skills to you. I sternly kept the cookie situation under control with Luther. Had to, the cheese, cheese cracker and peanut butter bills were killing me. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Yeah, Bear likes all of them things too, in fact if it's people food he thinks it has to be good. He has my manager at the Saginaw Gun Club pretty well trained mow also as there is always cheese in the fridge for cheeseburgers. He will look at my manager Chris and whine until he gets a treat. Bear is sometimes just too smart, the clubhouse has 2 large rooms and a kitchen. the inner room and kitchen are off limits for dogs under normal operating conditions. If the club is open and there are people around, Bear will sit in the doorway, but if the club is closed and just he and I and my manager and his crew are there he will cross the threshold and do his begging at closer range.