peep sight for marlin 39a

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

peep sight for marlin 39a

Post by smokey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:19 am

I have a 1969 Marlin 39A mountie. My eyes are not as good as they once were and I am looking at sight options. I am not looking at scopes because I think it ruins the asthetics of this particular rifle. Can anyone recomend any sight options. I am thinking maybe a peep but I have zero experience with them.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 am

Hello smokey, we(bearandoldman) have been experminting with the Williams WGRS-54 on our HENRY'S. It is the one recommended to fit most of the rimfire grooved recievers. It requires a taller front sight which the also sell. You can see them at MIDWAY if you search for Williams. They may have one for the 39A, or the same one we are using. Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:13 am

KAZ wrote:Hello smokey, we(bearandoldman) have been experminting with the Williams WGRS-54 on our HENRY'S. It is the one recommended to fit most of the rimfire grooved recievers. It requires a taller front sight which the also sell. You can see them at MIDWAY if you search for Williams. They may have one for the 39A, or the same one we are using. Regards
OK, give the dog cookie, Bear has had his already. How did the sighting in go with the peep on HenryII?? Just what did you have to file to make fit, mine should be here later this week, will stop and pick it up on the way to the range, that way my smith can help get it on.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 am

To late! The cookie monster has already struck 8) One of us did chase a bunny while we were on our walk. The rimfire grooves are so different that I believe that Williams left the grooves on their sight so that you could custom fit to each individual receiver. Mine took approx 5 minutes with a small three corner file, filing and testing until it slides on the groove. There was even a difference between my two HENRY'S. It is going to require a higher front sight than my converted Buck Mark sight offers. I suspect that it will need to be .500, and I'm playing with one right now by adding a piece of fiber optic to the top of on old sight. I'll be looking forward to how you solve this issue so that I can copy 8)

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 pm

The 39A doesn't have a grooved receiver but I do have a scope mount for it. I'll check the sights at Midway. Thanks for the info.

Smokey

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 pm

KAZ wrote:To late! The cookie monster has already struck 8) One of us did chase a bunny while we were on our walk. The rimfire grooves are so different that I believe that Williams left the grooves on their sight so that you could custom fit to each individual receiver. Mine took approx 5 minutes with a small three corner file, filing and testing until it slides on the groove. There was even a difference between my two HENRY'S. It is going to require a higher front sight than my converted Buck Mark sight offers. I suspect that it will need to be .500, and I'm playing with one right now by adding a piece of fiber optic to the top of on old sight. I'll be looking forward to how you solve this issue so that I can copy 8)
Well, I hope you had a good time chasing that rabbit, did the real KAZ give you a few woofs of encouragement???? See what you mean on the dovetails, we have the same front sight and it looks to be about .080 too low. Will e mail you some of my measurements and ideas on the subject as they would just clutter up the forum.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

shelby1941

39m sight

Post by shelby1941 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 am

Check out Skinner sights. www.skinnersights.com Super good looking sight. Easy to install. In most cases your can use your existing frone sight. Not connected to Skinner in any way but a very satisfied customer. Hope this helps. Shelby Chastain

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: 39m sight

Post by recumbent » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

shelby1941 wrote:Check out Skinner sights. www.skinnersights.com Super good looking sight. Easy to install. In most cases your can use your existing frone sight. Not connected to Skinner in any way but a very satisfied customer. Hope this helps. Shelby Chastain
Those are some nice looking sights........ :D
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Clem

Post by Clem » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:14 am

I found a ’69 Mountie a couple of years ago. The old ones are drilled and tapped for receiver sights. I mounted a Williams Foolproof on mine. I have a Redfield receiver sight on my ’63 39A, but they are long out of production.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 am

I appreciate all of the feedback. It seems I have several good options to check out. Thanks
Smokey