A Remington Pump

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

A Remington Pump

Post by KAZ » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 pm

My pal who owns the range had a Remington pump in his sale rack. I don't have a pump and he was well aware that he was dragging a top water across my path. so, anyway I bagged it up at 25 yards and loaded with Federal Automatch and while the action was flawless it would not even begin to group. Suspecting my old eyes not liking the iron sights I installed a red dot off my Henry H001 and still couldn't come close to a group. Fliers every direction so bad that I thought my trusted red dot had failed. So, I stuck it back on the Henry and shot a 5 shot all touching group. So, I was surprised and dismayed because I wouldn't have minded owning a pump to celebrate my new status as an Advanced Contributor 8) . Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: A Remington Pump

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 16, 2009 3:04 am

KAZ wrote:My pal who owns the range had a Remington pump in his sale rack. I don't have a pump and he was well aware that he was dragging a top water across my path. so, anyway I bagged it up at 25 yards and loaded with Federal Automatch and while the action was flawless it would not even begin to group. Suspecting my old eyes not liking the iron sights I installed a red dot off my Henry H001 and still couldn't come close to a group. Fliers every direction so bad that I thought my trusted red dot had failed. So, I stuck it back on the Henry and shot a 5 shot all touching group. So, I was surprised and dismayed because I wouldn't have minded owning a pump to celebrate my new status as an Advanced Contributor 8) . Regards
Well congratulations on your promotion, I keep thinking I should have a pump .22 again myself. Had a model 90 Winchester years ago but was more interested in shotuguns and sporting clay, so it got traded off.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 16, 2009 6:31 am

bearandaoldman we both know that if we happen to come across a HENRY Pump our resistance will be very low so I thought that when I saw this Remington for $175 it would cure that itch and save me $225. I still can't believe that it shot so poorly. I started to buy it anyway and see if it just needed a deep barrel clean to make it shoot. Then again if I still couldn't make it shoot after all my tricks I would never keep it no matter the loss. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 16, 2009 8:03 am

KAZ wrote:bearandaoldman we both know that if we happen to come across a HENRY Pump our resistance will be very low so I thought that when I saw this Remington for $175 it would cure that itch and save me $225. I still can't believe that it shot so poorly. I started to buy it anyway and see if it just needed a deep barrel clean to make it shoot. Then again if I still couldn't make it shoot after all my tricks I would never keep it no matter the loss. Regards
Some times you just have to let common sense take over and control your lust for firearms. I know it is difficult and Bear and I are proud of you. I think I really need one of those trombone guns again.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 16, 2009 10:26 am

I went over to RFC and looked up these Rem trombones and the very first post was from a guy who had the exact same one (572) that was unshootable due to scattered shots. Several think that the pump design makes it a plinker and that more should'nt be expected. If, true that would make me not own even a new Henry pump as both my Henry lever guns will shoot fine groups with every brand of ammo I feed them. Now, if someone who is on this forum that I have tremendous respect for acquires a Henry Thrombone and it shoots then I'll spring for one 8)

blueridgeranger

Post by blueridgeranger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Hello KAZ and bearandoldman
There are a few things going on with "pumps" that are going to more or less keep one from "grouping".
The biggest being you have to take the arm off the rest, actuate the slide or "pump", and then get down into your "set" or shooting position, again. That means you have to really concentrate on making sure that everything is the same as it was during the first shot you fired..not just about the same. Kind of keeps you (and me) on our toes, as the slide itself is not attached solidly to the receiver/butt stock and so on.
I am not an expert in this field, however I have my first gun, a Model 61 Winchester that I bought in 1951...yes, before they were grooved for a tip off mount.
Now, the old gun definitely shoots to point of aim, and will shoot well into Minute of Can easily out to 75 - 85 yards. No problem. That also includes Minute of Squirrel, however we haven't done that for many, many years.
A lever gun (mine is a Marlin 39A, 1976 vintage) will group, as long as I do my part, and keep a firm position on the bags. Five shots, one small hole at 25 yards, outdoor range with Federal Bulk (550 count) in 2004. I got really lucky that day, but I kept the target.
I also have a Model 62 Taurus with an extended eye relief scope that does a good job into minute of can, and is a lot of fun to shoot.
What I prefer about the manually accuated arms is exactly that. No round in the chamber unless I want one there, but Semi-Autos are a lot of fun, and use a bunch of ammo too.
Anyway, just my two cents worth, and enjoy...you guys seem to be very astute.
all the best to all
blueridgeranger

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue May 19, 2009 6:59 am

Welcome blueridgeranger, I'm convinced that the 572 that I shot is just a poor example, and luck of the draw. The good news is that I was able to try it out before laying down any money. There is no reason to own such a poor shooter when I'm blessed with Two HENRY lever rifles that will shoot under a 1/2" easily without any drama, and with no special ammo, bagged up and shot with the same care as the 572. Now, if bearandoldman will hurry up and acquire a HENRY H003 Pump and post a few targets we will have to rethink the pump :)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 am

Blueridgranger, Henry really surprised me when he grouped so well out of the box. I don't clean , polish or break in barrels, not one of my beliefs, I just go shooting. I never expected a lever gun to shoot so well due to the way they are built. They are not like a bolt gun or an autoloader that has a barreled action bolted into a full length piece of wood, do not believe i plastic either, other than in handguns. A lever is just a barreled action with a piece of wood at the back and one in the front more or less attached to the barrel. A pump is even worse with the forearm loosely attached be other metal parts to a bracket attached to the barrel. Getting consistency will not be easy due to differences every time the gun is racked and fired.
KAZ, made a looking trip yesterday but did not find a Henry Pump, in fact did not find any pumps at all, bu t did get to see an old friend at his new shop. Will keep looking, will probably get the receiver cover later this week and try it out. Drilled an .041 aperture out to .062 and may give it a try this afternoon.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue May 19, 2009 10:16 am

The good news/bad news is that despite the fact that well paid AMERICAN workers producing an excellent rifle are working as fast as possible there is a shortage of HENRY H001T and H003 rifles. Sooner or later they will catch up and we will be trying to one up each other target wise with our new Pumps due to the simple fact that neither of us has figured out how to take our money to the other side. I actually love spending my Son's inheritance 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 am

KAZ wrote:The good news/bad news is that despite the fact that well paid AMERICAN workers producing an excellent rifle are working as fast as possible there is a shortage of HENRY H001T and H003 rifles. Sooner or later they will catch up and we will be trying to one up each other target wise with our new Pumps due to the simple fact that neither of us has figured out how to take our money to the other side. I actually love spending my Son's inheritance 8)
Me too, actually my children have more money than I do. I may not leave much more than some nice guns and probably not much ammo.. All of the stuff that I was saving for my old age, I am using that now.
Henry does not build the H003 anymore, it had the same barrel as the H001. All they are building now is the H003T which uses the same barrel as the H001T. I am really looking for an H003 to go with my H001, maybe Henry's brother or sister.
Well, shortly we will most likely be off to the range and stop by the gun shop to see if they have anything interesting.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 2:44 pm

KAZ, it's all your fault now. Went out to the range earlier this afternoon and stopped at the gun shop as it s damn near on the way to the range, only about a mile out of the way. They had a really mint OKing 572 there with the checkered stock and it looks like brand new with out any real wear marks on it from operating the slide. Is $290.00 a decent price? May pick it up tomorrow, I would really like a Henry H003 but will probably never find a used one and they only make the H003T now and they are no available at all and cost a lot more dollars.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue May 19, 2009 4:13 pm

The one I turned down was not mint. The wood was nice, but the blueing was worn. It did however function perfectly with zero FTFs in 100+ rounds trying to make it group. He told me $125 which was a good customer break from $165. I wouldn't buy one without the right to try it out first. I'll bet that the one you are looking at will be fine, and that the one I tried was a fluke. I have a problem with $290 because I would always be thinking that for another $100 it could be a HENRY 8) I think they should be closer to $200

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 4:38 pm

KAZ wrote:The one I turned down was not mint. The wood was nice, but the blueing was worn. It did however function perfectly with zero FTFs in 100+ rounds trying to make it group. He told me $125 which was a good customer break from $165. I wouldn't buy one without the right to try it out first. I'll bet that the one you are looking at will be fine, and that the one I tried was a fluke. I have a problem with $290 because I would always be thinking that for another $100 it could be a HENRY 8) I think they should be closer to $200
Actually the MSRP is about the same as a Henry H003T but here are none available, and they quit making the H003 some time ago. Will give it some thought and see what kind of deal we can work out, he was asking 325 for it. It is damn close to new condition.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 pm

With the like new condition it sounds like $290 is a fair price. The $125 was very rough. The other thing is you just don't see them for sale, so the pumps are rare birds.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 5:19 pm

KAZ wrote:With the like new condition it sounds like $290 is a fair price. The $125 was very rough. The other thing is you just don't see them for sale, so the pumps are rare birds.
They also had an older Remington pump there too, but this one has the rail for a scope and the other older one did not. This one is just about the same size as a centerfire pump deer type rifle. No Monte Carlo which is nice according to Remington that configuration was last built in 1988. Sure looks new though.