Old Remington Rifles

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Old Remington Rifles

Post by allendavis » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:14 pm

I have a Remington .22 auto rifle that was given to my Grandfather when he was a kid prior to WWI, but I've never fired it because it's been broken since I was a very small kid.

I keep thinking its a Model 15, but can't remember. It's been in storage for years and I keep telling myself I need to haul it out, clean it up and see if I can scrounge up the parts it needs. I remember my Grand-dad telling me it was the first auto-loading .22 that Remington made.

Any info would be helpful. I can't find anything on Numrich Arms' website or on oldguns.net.

One of my most-prized possessions is a Model 541 single-shot bolt action my Dad bought around the time I was born for the princely sum of $14.95 from the corner hardware store. He recently gave it to me, after he fired at least 75,000 rounds through it, and 2/3 of those were shorts!

This gun has one of the most beautiful walnut stocks to ever grace any rifle.

I had to polish the chamber because of all the shorts my Dad ran through this thing, and I recently also had to replace the firing pin/sear and the extractor. Dad says I've committed sacriledge because I had the receiver drilled and tapped and mounted a Bushnell 3-9x42 mm scope on it, as well as added a sling with QD swivels. I reminded him that he gave me the rifle because he could no longer see well enough with its open sights to shoot it accurately. ;-)

With Federal HV hollow points, it will shoot dime-sized groups forever at 50 yards. If I use Yellow Jackets or Vipers, I can put 50 rounds into a single jagged hole half the size of the fingernail on my pinky -- and that's not very big! It won't shoot Stingers worth crap, though, but most guns don't (except my Iver Johnson TP-22 Walther look-alike mouse gun).

When new, this gun was supposed to be the entry-level economy model, but the finish and workmanship on this gun is superior to most everything you see today unless you spend many hundreds of dollars.

I've got other .22 rifles, but this 541 is probably my very favorite, and for more than just sentimental reasons. Being a single-shot, it forces you to be much more careful about shot placement.

Allen

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:30 pm

Does it look like this:

This is a Remington Model 16, the first autoloading rimfire of their line. It was introduced in 1915 and discontinued in 1928. There's a page on it at Rem Model 16

Here's a link to a parts breakdown for this rifle. Mdl 16 Parts breakdown

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:15 pm

This is a Remington Model 16, the first autoloading rimfire of their line. It was introduced in 1915 and discontinued in 1928. There's a page on it at Rem Model 16
By George, you found it! That's the one.
Here's a link to a parts breakdown for this rifle. Mdl 16 Parts breakdown

Hope this helps.
It does immensely!!! I remember disassembling this gun back about 20 years ago or so and I played hell for three days trying to get the darned thing back together again. If I can find some useful instruction, I shall resurrect this old relic with haste.

The wood and the metal are still in remarkably good condition.

Now if I could only get my Pappy to give me my Great-great Grand-dad's .32-20 Colt SAA, I'd really be in heaven. I suppose I'll have to pry it out of his cold dead fingers some day, but I'm not in a big enough hurry for that!

I'll get busy on the links you gave me.

Thanks a ton.

Allen

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:15 am

:D

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:10 pm

You might be in for a shock if you priced one like it. I have a Winchester 69 that my dad gave me 50+ years ago. It appears to be very late 30's early 40's vintage. I dragged the thing everywhere and wasn't all that keen on taking care of it. Saw one not in as good condition at a gun show on Saturday going for 20x the probable new cost.

Dan in MI

Post by Dan in MI » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:38 am

I see I'm not the only one with a weak spot for old R-P's. My Dad had a Sportsmaster Model 341 that he bought new in the 30's that my 3 brothers and I all learned on. After Pop passed I ended up with it. That gun still shoots like it has eyes and my brothers all lamented not getting that .22.

Well, I just finished a 4 year quest to find 3 more 341's so I could give each of my brothers "Dad's" gun. They just don't make 'em like that any more.