CZ 452 Disassembly & Trigger Adjustment

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 pm

Blindpig wrote:I'll start looking in the tool stores here in Tulsa and see if I can find a torque wrench that's a little more affordable.
Is he reliable, do you think?
1/4"drive TorqueWrench

good ole' Harbor Freight carries an affordable line of tools.
Print the SalePrice-webpage, the store should honor it.
Tulsa HF store

my key to shopping at HF, is to get on their eMail & Mailing list and
watch for 25, 40, 50% off sale prices on items I might think of having
and then get it when on sale and then it doesn't matter as much if I
ever use it or not...

I've dealt with eBrooks a couple times.
I've eMailed him to ask... first. not needed, just worked for me.
good luck.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:06 pm

TOYFJ40, thanks a bunch for the tip! I'm on my way down to Harbor Freight this afternoon to pick up one of those wrenches.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:38 pm

By the way, are you saying the toilet seats in your house cost less than $600?
Used to, when I worked for the US Government. Trust me a $600 toilet seat doesn't feel any different that the $40 ones at Home Depot.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:23 pm

Bullseye wrote:
By the way, are you saying the toilet seats in your house cost less than $600?
Used to, when I worked for the US Government. Trust me a $600 toilet seat doesn't feel any different that the $40 ones at Home Depot.

R,
Bullseye
Well, I always say it's whatever makes your bottom comfortable and the heck with the cost!

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:28 pm

I got out to the range today with the 452 after taking it apart and adjusting the trigger to its lowest pull weight. I shot some 1" groups at 50 yards with Federal bulk ammo from Wal-Mart. That's pretty good for me but I think I'll put in a spring from Eric Brooks to get it somewhat lighter on the pull.
I sent him an e-mail 4 days ago and haven't had a reply from him. Makes me a little reluctant to order from him.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:45 pm

I don't know Eric so I cannot comment on his response time. It could be that he's just busy right now. Give it the appropriate time you wish and shop around for an alternate.

Good to hear that the452's trigger feels better for you.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:05 am

Bullseye, I found a heck of a deal on torque-limiting screwdrivers. JT Outfitters has Utica TS35s for $49.95! I ordered one and with shipping it was 60 bucks! Got it yesterday and it works like a charm.
By the way, I'd recommend that no one order anything from this Eric Brooks guy. He charged my credit card but never shipped the trigger kit and pin removal jig I ordered from him. I sent him a couple of e-mails but he didn't respond and, of course, he doesn't list his phone number on his web site. I used my Amex card for the purchase so I'm getting ready to sic them on him.
I tried some CCI Green Tag in the 452 and got one 5-shot group that measured .28 in. with the rest under .5 in. so I'm pretty happy with this rifle. I've got an adjustable sear on order from Brownells along with a matching light trigger spring and I'm eager to see how it performs after I put those in.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:16 pm

That's very good news. I'm sure you'll appreciate a rifle that shoots nice tight groups. Those CZ's are known for relatively good accuracy out of an inexpensive platform.

Thanks for the heads-up on Brooks. I won't recommend anyone order from him in the future. Poor customer service is a sure way to kill a good market.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:39 am

I saw this in my latest MidWayUSA flyer,
a Wheeler FAT torque Wrench

I had two "dealings" with eBrooks... CZ452.com
one for a CZ-spring-kit and a second for one of the Torque-Drivers.
each was an eMail to confirm what I was ordering/price/avail...
and sent him a MO... and received each promptly...
Sorry to hear you transaction has failed, thanks for the heads-up,
but it worked-for me a year+ ago...
ALSO, his Trigger-Kits are discussed frequently on the RFC/CZ forum,
and I did note some recent "complaints" there... so, perhaps 'something has changed'.

Just-kidding: did you send your order to the WRONG Eric Brooks ?

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:41 am

toyfj40 wrote: Just-kidding: did you send your order to the WRONG Eric Brooks ?
Nope, it was the right Eric Brooks alright. I don't know what happened to him but I do know he has my money and I don't have his merchandise.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:21 pm

I bought a CZ 452 Special in HMR a few days ago then went searching for tune-up info.
The CZ forum at RFC is a good source of info.
I also ordered the trigger kit from Eric Brooks last Sat. and got an e-mail from him yesterday saying I should receive the kit tomorrow.
I'm mainly looking for his trigger springs as mine has absolutely no creep in the trigger and don't think I'll need the tubes to take out any creep.. It is rock solid when cocked and with the adjustment screw backed off as far as it will go the pull is 3lb,4oz.
The bolt was pretty rough cycling but a few hundred operations with some 340 grit aluminum oxide lapping compound fixed that and it is smooth as glass now.
I found out by using brake cleaner to get the factory gunk out of it that the magazine box attached to the action is plastic. Looks like metal but it is plastic and the brake cleaner bleached it out to white in a few spots.
A little touchup with a magic marker solved that.
Al in all I'm impressed with the rifle and at $250.00 it is a bargain.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:32 pm

Boomer47, at $250 I think you got a heck of a deal on your 452! Let us know what kind of groups you get.
I ended up putting an Automation Solutions adjustable sear in mine with their matching trigger spring and I love it.
I couldn't get a response from Brooks when I ordered from him so I went the other route and I'm glad I did.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:01 pm

boomer47 wrote:I bought a CZ 452 Special in HMR a few days ago then went searching for tune-up info.
The CZ forum at RFC is a good source of info.
I also ordered the trigger kit from Eric Brooks last Sat. and got an e-mail from him yesterday saying I should receive the kit tomorrow.
I'm mainly looking for his trigger springs as mine has absolutely no creep in the trigger and don't think I'll need the tubes to take out any creep.. It is rock solid when cocked and with the adjustment screw backed off as far as it will go the pull is 3lb,4oz.
The bolt was pretty rough cycling but a few hundred operations with some 340 grit aluminum oxide lapping compound fixed that and it is smooth as glass now.
I found out by using brake cleaner to get the factory gunk out of it that the magazine box attached to the action is plastic. Looks like metal but it is plastic and the brake cleaner bleached it out to white in a few spots.
A little touchup with a magic marker solved that.
Al in all I'm impressed with the rifle and at $250.00 it is a bargain.
Another new toy to tinker with Jack? You got too much time on your hqnds. Len
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:53 pm

Len,
Yeah, I just had to have something to tinker with since my last MK11 just does not have anything left to do to it.
This CZ is a piece of work. I could not believe how the sights were installed. You probably already know this but the rear sight is mounted on a sleeve that is run down on the barrel and sweated on. The front is mounted after the barrel is turned down to accept the sleeve the sight is mounted on and then it is sweated on. You have to really look for the seams.
I haven't seen that kind of metal work since I bought a Browning over/under at the gun club at Torrejon air base, Spain that was made in Belgium, in 1962.

Blindpig,
I got tired of waiting on Brooks and since I have a shoebox full of various springs leftover from when I used to do some really serious smithing I decided to see what I could come up with.
The short story is that I got the pull down to 23oz and it survives a 3 foot drop to the carpet without the sear releasing.
I also drilled and tapped the rear of the trigger guard for a 6-32 screw to make an overtravel stop.Of course it has to be backed out to get the bolt out but it sure makes for a sweet trigger pull.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:43 am

boomer47 wrote: Blindpig,
I got tired of waiting on Brooks and since I have a shoebox full of various springs leftover from when I used to do some really serious smithing I decided to see what I could come up with.
The short story is that I got the pull down to 23oz and it survives a 3 foot drop to the carpet without the sear releasing.
I also drilled and tapped the rear of the trigger guard for a 6-32 screw to make an overtravel stop.Of course it has to be backed out to get the bolt out but it sure makes for a sweet trigger pull.
Boomer47, glad to hear you got that trigger pull where you like it. Mine's at about that same weight.
By the way, I finally got my money back from Brooks after I sicced the pit bulls from American Express on him. I had ordered a spring kit and a set of his pin removal fixtures for a total of 24 bucks. I wasn't like it would bankrupt me if I lost the money, but it sure made me mad that I had paid for something I didn't get. Live and learn, I guess.