pillar bedding?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Well, you know that I love the bulk ammo! Another reason HENRY is a favorite, but when I got into 22 rim fire bench match shooting I had a painful surprise when I found that it required Eley Black box Match @ $11/box. I use the SK and Wolf @$5/box for practice and it is what I shoot mostly in my 40Xs, but in competition they will throw a flyer that will ruin a target. I hold the line at $11/box, but most that I compete against are shooting Eley Red box @$16/box. Crazy for sure! Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, you know that I love the bulk ammo! Another reason HENRY is a favorite, but when I got into 22 rim fire bench match shooting I had a painful surprise when I found that it required Eley Black box Match @ $11/box. I use the SK and Wolf @$5/box for practice and it is what I shoot mostly in my 40Xs, but in competition they will throw a flyer that will ruin a target. I hold the line at $11/box, but most that I compete against are shooting Eley Red box @$16/box. Crazy for sure! Regards
Not for us old retired guys, you have to be working OT to buy some of that stuff,. But really a match is only 25 shots plus sighter so the cost is not high compared to the guns you are shooting it in. A few of my guns shoot the CCI Blazer welll and my local shop has it at my price for just about what WW wants for the Fed bulkk now and it shoots better. Besides that I would rather buy from my loacl gu than from people I do not know at all.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:53 pm

There you have it, a match is 3 cards each having 25 bulls so, two boxes. When I compare it to golf,fishing,drinking,cars, etc it's not to bad, and better than to much time in the old recliner. When I just go to the range I shoot Henry(bulk),Marlin 357 (hand loads), S&W 41(CCI SV),Kimber 45 (hand loads) and practice with 40X (SK $4). At home in my backyard pellets @ $10/500. It all evens out, and it brings me joy to spend the kids inheritance 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:15 pm

The drinking part of most of those sports really drives the cost up'
I shoot my Blackhawk or 1894 wiith my handload and my 1911's also. Most of the time CCi Blazer will get me by at roughly 2 bucks a box. Fed bulk has gone up to the point of where it is not worth the walk through WW to get it. The Blaser or some of the others I uase are never over 3 bucks a box. Noi enough savings on the cheap stuff anymore.

bearandoldman

hard ti fund good paper

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Well, I bough some more of what I thiink is a heavier duty paper and to test ists quality I moved bask in to 25 yards. That stuff holds up bettr, still gets holes in it for somne reason but they are smaller. Shootin the 10/22T and the Wlf MT group measures just about .100 centers for 10 shots. Slightly windy but a steady wind with no real gusts to mess things up.
Image Image
Thanks to my friend Joe for thew use of his GREEEEEAAAT ammo

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:25 pm

What weight paper have you been using? 20#, 24#, 32# Poster Board?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:35 pm

blue68f100 wrote:What weight paper have you been using? 20#, 24#, 32# Poster Board?
Ben using 24# for quite som time but recently picked up a couple 500 packs of 28#.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 pm

I have had some good targets with Fed bulk, Auto Match and the Win. subsonic. Image

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm19 ... 012025.jpg
I might try some of that expensive ammo sometime.... TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 am

Tried this pillar method on some cheap after market stock, it was going great until I couldn't get the forearm cap back on as the barrel raised more that I anticipated. Novel idea though.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 23, 2010 8:44 am

Tbag wrote:Tried this pillar method on some cheap after market stock, it was going great until I couldn't get the forearm cap back on as the barrel raised more that I anticipated. Novel idea though.
Why do you want to put the cap back on? I have done this to all of my 10/22's including my 4 digit carbine, I just leave the barrel band off. Yes it looks diferent but who cares, it shoots much better.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 23, 2010 10:01 am

Recently decided to take an extra 10/22 carbine and do a before and after on it just to see the difference. Bought it for some reason, probably a day when I was suffering from gun purchase withdrawal, relly did not need iit as I do have otherss. TYou can see a definite improvement in grouping on all targetss, except the one shot with CCI Blazer, it ias a higher velocity and the harmonics are differen, All other groups were better, excluding a shot or 2 chalked up to operator error. Stock was 5-18, altered stock 5-21
Image Image

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Tbag wrote:Tried this pillar method on some cheap after market stock, it was going great until I couldn't get the forearm cap back on as the barrel raised more that I anticipated. Novel idea though.
Why do you want to put the cap back on? I have done this to all of my 10/22's including my 4 digit carbine, I just leave the barrel band off. Yes it looks diferent but who cares, it shoots much better.
I'll post a picture of it tomorrow or Saturday when I get break and you will see why. It's a mimic of some Russian stock that I picked up dirt cheap. The original stock I had cut down so my son and daughter could learn to shoot several years ago, once they out grew it I gave that stock to my neighbor for his kids to learn on. Wish I had another original stock I like the original look more.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Tbag wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
I'll post a picture of it tomorrow or Saturday when I get break and you will see why. It's a mimic of some Russian stock that I picked up dirt cheap. The original stock I had cut down so my son and daughter could learn to shoot several years ago, once they out grew it I gave that stock to my neighbor for his kids to learn on. Wish I had another original stock I like the original look more.
May have one available shortly, keep in touch.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:11 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Tbag wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: Why do you want to put the cap back on? I have done this to all of my 10/22's including my 4 digit carbine, I just leave the barrel band off. Yes it looks diferent but who cares, it shoots much better.
May have one available shortly, keep in touch.
I will keep in touch and thank you very much!

Had time to snap a photo as to why I can't use the piller shim method

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 am

Must get bored more as I get older, decided to see if I could improve on that spare 10/22 carbine with an aftermarket stock and barrel. Bought a Revolution "Tundra" stock from Stocky's in left hand, bull barrel and fire and ice laminate, he had the best prices and in stock and great service also. Bought a Green Mountain 20 in blued, fluted .920 barrel from Shooter's Discount, in stock good price and he gave good service also. Everything got her yesterday, so we ran a wet and a dry patch through the barrel, used the washer and foam toget it mounted and headed to the range for a quick trial. Shot 20 rounds of CCI Blazer, 10 of Fiocchi 22CRN, 15 of SK Standard Plus nd 5 opf Eley Sport in that order. If IO do my part, this gun is a real shooter. Target marked one and two are the first two, five round groups put of the barrel at 25 yards, the other is one oof the SKL groups, of course the best one. The others were good one holers, but not this good. Image Image Image