Savage MKII question

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Savage MKII question

Post by Oldguy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey guys, have a question. I bought the Savage MKII for my grandsons' a couple months back, and they love shooting it. We have gone out a couple more times, and they are getting pretty good.

I was shooting it over the weekend(wasn't purchased just for them, but that was my excuse), and noticed something. I've basically been using CCI Blazer, which works just fine in the Savage and my Ruger MKIII. Fairly consistent and I know where it's going at 50 yards. I've also used the Wal-Mart bulk and American Eagle. Neither are as good as the Blazer, but certainly acceptable. I tried some CCI Mini-mag, and noticed it shooting 2-3 inches left, about an inch low, but fairly erratic. Instead of 2" group with the Blazer (50 yards, open sights), best group was 3-4." I can understand the inch low as it's probably a hotter load than the Blazer (says 1325 fps on the box, I believe). Blazers are somewhat slower (if someone knows, please let me know).

So the question is, has anyone else had this experience with the mini-mag? I know all guns tend to have a preference for a certain ammunition that you have to search out and find, but have never seen one this dramatic.

My Ruger likes mini-mag better than Blazer, but not by much, and really shoots anything I feed it.

So is it the higher speed causing instability, copper plated vs. lead, or what? Could be as simple as that's not what it likes, but thought I would get some opinions.

Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 pm

The barrel's twist rate may not be capable of stabilizing the faster CCI Mini Mag cartridges.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:18 pm

One to try that won't break the bank, and works very well in several of my rifles (and those of my Pals) is SK Standard Plus. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 pm

My savage likes just about anything I stuff in it.... I've had good luck with eley sport, federal bulk, and federal champion...

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Bullseye, that was my first thought. The speed won't let it stabilize in the 21" barrel. The twist is 1-16, which I think is pretty standard for a 22 rifle. I was going to email Savage, but they have a note saying they are too busy to answer email. Must be nice.

KAZ, and bgreenea3, I intend to try a variety, but in the People's Republic of California, sometimes the pickins' are a little slim. It's been available, just not a lot of choice. It has digested Winchester Super X, and Federal bulk without a problem, and despite the inconsistency in the Federal ammo (sound and feel), it doesn't seem to affect where the bullet goes. Just surprised that there was such a noticeable difference between the Blazer and the more expensive stuff.

I just got some Federal (not Wal-Mart bulk, but a real brick) and I'll let you know what happens.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Still working on getting the barrel tuned in properly do nto have a recent target as I have been playinf with a few of the 10/22's. But did shoot thiss in Nid April SK Staandard plus, also some CCI Blazer at 25 yards tge center white bull is 5/8 dia. I know it can do better.Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 pm

For everyone's information, I sent CCI an email yesterday with the question about the Mini-Mag. About an hour later, I received a reply from CCI saying the rimfire engineer thought it might me a problem with a specific lot of ammo, and was sending me a replacement to try.

I was not expecting that. I was just trying to find out if they had any information that may help. Pretty good customer service, if you ask me.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:41 pm

They may have had other consumer complaints about that lot of ammo. They track that kind of information to ensure quality control.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm

I have had very good results with Fed Auto Match and Fed 510B, with CCI mini-mags coming in third for the most part. My MKIIg, Rem Mdl five and CZ Silhouette all seem to do well with the Feds mentioned. The MKIIg at 50 yd.s

[/img]Image
and,

I really like the Auto Match, but the 510B gave me better results at 100 yards. This is with a BSA Sweet22 scope zeroed with AM at 50 yd.s, but then cranked up to 124 yards with the 510B..ImageTB

Love those rifles! They all shoot good and are fun to shoot. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 pm

TB, if my targets were like that I'd be happy too. I've done some research with this thing and, the first shot goes about 2" at about 7:00, the second about 1-1/2" at 11:00, then settle in and shoots. This is after 5 fouling shots, then letting the barrel cool for 10 minutes. Tried several brands of ammo and like CCI Blazer and Eley Target Rifle the best.

I've had 2 other people shoot it after I did, one is about the best rifle shot in our club. Same result. I called Savage, and they said to send it back and they would look at it. So they have it as we speak. I'll let y'all know what they say, and how it shoots when it ventures it's way back to the People's Republic of California.

P.S. With our $19 billion deficit, we are currently 60 days into the new fiscal year without a budget. Yet today, they vote on whether to outlaw plastic grocery bags or not! Is someone (possible me) missing the point?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Shot this target the otherr day, this is with the stock mounting but a pressure pad at the forend.
Not bad at 25 yards but my 10/22's, even tge stock ones can do better.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 am

Oldguy wrote:TB, if my targets were like that I'd be happy too. I've done some research with this thing and, the first shot goes about 2" at about 7:00, the second about 1-1/2" at 11:00, then settle in and shoots. This is after 5 fouling shots, then letting the barrel cool for 10 minutes. Tried several brands of ammo and like CCI Blazer and Eley Target Rifle the best.

I've had 2 other people shoot it after I did, one is about the best rifle shot in our club. Same result. I called Savage, and they said to send it back and they would look at it. So they have it as we speak. I'll let y'all know what they say, and how it shoots when it ventures it's way back to the People's Republic of California.

P.S. With our $19 billion deficit, we are currently 60 days into the new fiscal year without a budget. Yet today, they vote on whether to outlaw plastic grocery bags or not! Is someone (possible me) missing the point?
I hope Savage works it out for you, sounds like something is buggared up with your rifle, maybe the crown.........

.....with all the issues Michigan has had our lawmaakers were more interested in banning texting while driving and smoking in bars....

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 am

I wish someone (much smarter than me) would figure out why that "first shot flier" happens.. The commonly professed cause is a "lube ring" at the mouth of the case in the borer that melts after a shot or two, and then doesn't interfere with the bullets egress thereafter. My question to that logic is "If the lube melts and gets smoothed out so it doesn't interfere anymore, why does in congeal and form a rigid ring after the last shot of the day?" It should stay smoothed out to my way of physical, logical thinking. There is nothing there to physically reform the ring, if it existed, to my way of thinking. I don't doubt that one could form, I just don't believe the first shot fliers stem from that. And the way most people clean their barrels after shooting, I don't think a ring would have a chance of forming anyway. When I was a kid I cleaned my .22s actions fairly often, but I doubt if I ran a patch through the barrel on a string more than once or twice a year. I sure never used any Hoppes #9... I thought that was only for shotguns. And I don't believe I ever observed a ring in the end of the chamber in my .22s. And I shot a lot more ammo than I do now. I didn't, and still don't, like plastic shot shells for leaving a plastic crud coating in the chamber.

Those last couple targets of mine were at 25 yd.s with the Fed AM and Fed bulk were compared, or maybe it was 510B. just didn't want any confusion on the distance on those targets. TB :wink:
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 am

When I had the gun set up another way last week or so can not r4emember the exzct configuration, I was gettin a lot of 1st and 2nd shot fliers and then it would stabilize. It would even do it after just setting in the rest while I loaded anoither ma It may have been with the spcers under the post and a rear pressure pad. The gun shot fiarly well stock a year ago when I bought it, I may go back to that setup again. Presently has stock mounting and a pressure pad near the forend, next try is a pressure pad the full length of the barrel channel and then totally stock, to make the comparison. Seems the best I can get out of it so far is with the pressure pad at the forend. Maybe I am expecting too much from a $199.95 gun???? I have never had the first shot fliers mith any of my 10/22's or my other .22lllllllr guns, just the Savage.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm

I bllame voodoo for all my fliers........ you might try to single load it instead of loading from the mag, it may be the nose is getting dinged on the way from the mag to the chamber and after 1-2 rounds the spring tension in the mag is less so it loads smoother.......just a theory