BAOM vs Markie Round 5

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 pm

I've heard that the Federal Champion is very good in many rifles, I'll have to look for some to try. By the way with Markie and Wasp both being guys it sounds like poor Remona is outnumbered :twisted:
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 pm

KAZ wrote:I've heard that the Federal Champion is very good in many rifles, I'll have to look for some to try. By the way with Markie and Wasp both being guys it sounds like poor Remona is outnumbered :twisted:
Not too bad as she has her girlfriend Nyla.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Yes, but then there is I believe MOSES 8)

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:now Markie's shooting like she should, not bad for a low buck 22 rifle... mine likes some of the bulk stuff more than the match stuff so far, you might try the fed champion, as a low $ alternative.
Blazer works pretty well for the average shootin and Morkie is a BOY, sorry.
Are you sure? Pretty picky and flighty for a boy. :lol:

Nice to know it does better with Blazer than Gold Medal. Saves you about $15/brick.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:41 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:now Markie's shooting like she should, not bad for a low buck 22 rifle... mine likes some of the bulk stuff more than the match stuff so far, you might try the fed champion, as a low $ alternative.
Blazer works pretty well for the average shootin and Morkie is a BOY, sorry.
Are you sure? Pretty picky and flighty for a boy. :lol:

Nice to know it does better with Blazer than Gold Medal. Saves you about $15/brick.
Maybe so but then his owner can have an attitude himself at times. Luckily Blazer shoots well in all of my guns. Almost as good as Wolf MT. Wolf is 150% the cost of Blazer but dies not shoot 150% better? Still think it was more than just the chamber, but who cares it works now,

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Well, Bear and I put Markie in the range bag and did a little shooting today, Markie seems to prefer a forend pressure pad. Wolf MT shoots well and possibly any other ammo of the same velocity, seems to have an effect on the vibrations of a sporter barrel.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 am

Nice shootin' oldman. those groups are right up there with mr T. what scope are you using?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:05 am

bgreenea3 wrote:Nice shootin' oldman. those groups are right up there with mr T. what scope are you using?
Been using the Tasco 6-24x42, mil dot reticle on Markie lately. Got some rings with the rear offset because the mounts made the scope set too far forward. Kudos to Savage for making a shooter out of it. Still don/t know all of what they did but WHO CARES? Likes Wolf or maybe anything in that fps range and a pressure pad at the forend helped a little more also.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:42 am

Those groups must have put a big smile on your face :D SAVAGE stood behind their product, and in good time as well. I might have to take a look at one of the TR MKII versions. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:57 am

KAZ wrote:Those groups must have put a big smile on your face :D SAVAGE stood behind their product, and in good time as well. I might have to take a look at one of the TR MKII versions. Regards
Would like to have had a video on that myself. After the last group I looked over at my shooting buddy to my left and he had a big smile on his face as he was watching through his rifle scope. The Gun you are talking about is the deluxe model, my shop has one and the stock really is pretty. Nothing but compliments for the Customer Service and Repair people at Savage. Any time I called they did everything possible to help, like when I called to see where it was, he jumped right into UPS tracking and told me when and who signed for the rifle at the shop. Really am not sure just what they did, but they fixed it. Actually it was at the factory less than a full work week before it was on it's way back.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:46 am

Made a discovery yesterday as far as ammo. Was looking for other ammo with the bullet weight and velocity close to Wolf MT which is 1050fps and a 40 grain bullet. CCISV is 1070fps and 40 grains, Rem subs are 1050 with a 38 grain HP, CCI subs are 1050 with a 40 grain HP. My local shop only had one box of a 100 of the CCI subs in stock so we bought them and headed for the range, They come very close to matching the performance of the Wolf MT and are a little more economical.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Good shooters with good rifles keep proving that standard velocity ammo is more accurate for most of us than high velocity. Other than some Hi Vel which is what comes in most bulk packs and I shoot for plinking fun I only shoot the standard fodder. I don't like the crack that you get from the HV stuff as I like to shoot my rimfire rifles without muffs. Looks like Markie likes several brands of standard vel ammo, so you have many choices. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Ditto, on the noise factor KAZ, the slower stuff is much more peaceful to shoot, and besides that how much power do you need to punch holes in paper. I thing as the faster stuff accelerates and decelerates through the sonic barrier , it destabilized the bullet to some extent.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:59 am

Just an update on Markie and what they did to him when he went home for a week. They did not say but I think they re crowned him ands made him a King, He will now be known as King Markie. Got the idea that any ammo in the same fps and bullet weight should shoot about the same, barring inconsistency of the lower price ammo's. That means anything around 1050 and 38 to 40 grains should work all right. Got a box of CCI subs at the shop the other day as that was all they had left in stock in that ammo. That means CCI subs, CCI SV, CCI Green Tag, Rem subs should all work good. Took King Markie out and fired a test target and the CCI subs did work well. As I was putting the gun back in the rack I looked t the crown than got a good light and a glass on it and I don't think I have ever seen a more symetrical burn pattern on the barrel, guess this accounts for his ability to shoot now.Image

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Great!! The class clown has now become the valedictorian, gratuating with honors. :banana: