Cleaning

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Cleaning

Post by greener » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I discussed .22 barrel cleaning with the gunsmith who owns/manages the range our shooting association uses. He has made benchrest rifles for years and competes in both rimfire and centerfire. He cleans his rimfire rifle between targets and after shooting with a wet patch, brass brush and wet patch. After the match he repeats the cleaning and also cleans the barrel with Iosso bore cleaner. His last match all targets but one were X's. You could watch the wind or his judgment of the wind move the impact on the 100 yard targets.

He said that he had heard a long time ago that you should never shoot from a cold, dirty barrel. The bullet lube and firing residue makes a hard, abrasive paste.

My rimfire cleaning criteria is whenever the spirit moves me or when I can't explain the bullet impact. KC's cleaning schedule is sure different from mine but first round X's at 100 yards followed by consistent X's sure is a compelling argument for more cleaning than I've been doing.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:53 pm

I believe that your Smith is correct. I also shoot 50 yd 22RF benchrest in search of 250/25X perfect targets. This is for sure a game of wind reading and tiny errors causing one to miss the X. I can feel accuracy fall off if I don't clean after at least three 25 bull (75 shots + spotters)cards. The other thing as Bill Calfee who most will agree is one of our finest builders says that after you fire a rimfire bullet it leaves visible moisture in the leade area that must by cleaned out with a dry patch or you will get pitting. Getting a 40X rifle rebarreled is $600-800 for a Broughton 5C or Shilen Octagon barrel plus getting it indexed to your receiver. So, being a cheapscake I do listen to these guys. BC also says you must have a good quality fitted bore guide,stainless rod as he sees more barrels ruined by improper cleaning than being shot out. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association