Remington 597?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:20 am

As I understand they were discontinued but still seem to be readily available and at a decent price, much less than the original MSRP. I think they made them for a year or two, they do show something similar now on their website but Gallery of Guns does not carry that model either or it only exists on their website and was never manufactured,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:32 am

They now list on their website a 597 TVP, looks to be the same gun basically but in stainless barrel and receiver and a different color stock. The stock is what caught my eye and eventually my money at a nearby shop, so I had my favorite shop order me one from his distributor, He seemed to have no problem finding one, a couple of minutes on the computer and he had me a price and a few days later a gun. Remington's website list them at an MSRP of $552.00, WOW.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:47 pm

I spent a while at the Remington 597 site. I know I'm weak and fall into bad company easily. Nice looking guns.

http://www.remington.com/product-famili ... l-597.aspx

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:52 pm

greener wrote:I spent a while at the Remington 597 site. I know I'm weak and fall into bad company easily. Nice looking guns.

http://www.remington.com/product-famili ... l-597.aspx
YOU NEED AT LEAST ONE!!!!

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 pm

I was thinking about that. I'm still working on the 10/22. Still tempting...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 am

greener wrote:I was thinking about that. I'm still working on the 10/22. Still tempting...
Of each model that is.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:47 am

I believe that WASP deserves a red dot, it would be a very quick combo. With that stock design and a RD you would get tired before the Prairie Dog Sisters stopped spinning :D
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:04 am

KAZ wrote:I believe that WASP deserves a red dot, it would be a very quick combo. With that stock design and a RD you would get tired before the Prairie Dog Sisters stopped spinning :D
Got to give that a try some time, think one of my 22/45's is wearing it at the time.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Yes one of my 22/45's has the reflex dot sight. Just got back from the range, shot a few with Wasp, and he did well especially with the Wolf MT, still need to bet the scope totally zeroed for this ammo. He shoots Blazer well also. We just put the Barska 8-32x50 on him last night and needed to get him more or less sighted, next thing we try is a pressure pad just in front of the receiver and see if it makes things any better.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:39 pm

After you get it where you want it with stock/action fit try that reflex. I'll bet that once you do it stays on WASP for a quick stinger 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:58 pm

KAZ wrote:After you get it where you want it with stock/action fit try that reflex. I'll bet that once you do it stays on WASP for a quick stinger 8)
I think I want to put it on the Browning Clone known as Moses. Scope is on a cantilever mount on the barrel and I have trouble with getting enough eye relief to use a regular scope, the reflex should work great there.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Well, seems that that are still selling red dot sights with no shortage that I know of. Just let go of a small amount of your children's inheritance :wink:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, seems that that are still selling red dot sights with no shortage that I know of. Just let go of a small amount of your children's inheritance :wink:
Oh, do have a couple of 40mm tube red dots too, no lack f equipment.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 am

Well, you got to try different mods to see if you can improve on a gun's accuracy. Stock the 597 YellowJacket is full floated from the receiver forward, not much forward because the stick is relieved about 2-1/2 inches in front of the receiver. The gun shoots better stock than with the pad, so the pad had to go. The trigger is great as far as being clean and crisp with very little overtravel but it feels like you are trying to move the trigger guard, must be 8 pounds or better? Stopped and talked to my favorite local smith and he said as much as he hated to, buy a VQ hammer., I have done some but theirs works better than the ones I have done. So we ordered one last night.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, you and I as well as Greener,Hak,Bullseye, and many others on here have experienced some really fine triggers so, now we are spoiled. I remember the time I thought my 40X trigger was pretty good. Then a so called friend let me try his 40X with a $170 Jewell Benchrest trigger :evil: I will be excited to read your review after your new trigger is installed. Get your shop to measure the trigger pull weight before and after. I believe that next to having a good barrel /action bedded the trigger is next in achieving ting groups. Regards