Maybe it was better before I fixed it?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Maybe it was better before I fixed it?

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Well now we have all the .920 barrel guns shooting like we expect them to, we got one of three sporter barrels shooting good also. Markie shoots like we expected but now we are doubtful of Sport and the Oldtimer. Sport is a pretty much stock 10/22 DSP and the Oldtimer is my 4 digit 10/22 carbine with a Revolution Trailblazer stock and a Green Mountain 20 inch blued and fluted sporter taper barrel. We are now not sure if they shoot any better than the did when we first shot them or not. We may have to do some research and possibly go back to stock and shoot for test purposes again, wee it at least keeps me out of trouble.,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

You just be careful, too much time at the range and it might feel like work or something!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:10 pm

bigfatdave wrote:You just be careful, too much time at the range and it might feel like work or something!
Gave up that working stuff a lot of years ago, don;t plan on it unless really forced into it.

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:52 am

what ammo are you using?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:10 am

glockeyed wrote:what ammo are you using?
CCI Blazer, Rem or CCI subsonic. Wolf MT. The sporter barrels just vibrate different and I have just not totally found the proper fix, except for the MarkIIGL Savage. Been jumping around and making too many changes and not keeping good records, go back to square one and start all over.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 am

Mid 60's this morning here in Mid Michigan but cloudy and 25 mph and better winds, so did a little re4search on my past mods. It did shoot better after I started fixing it but after I tried to improve on that fix it went slightly downhill from that. Been playing with the position and thickness of the pressure pad and in the process I made it narrower that the original. he original went all the way up the barrel channel and was contacting both sides of the barrel more than the bottom and that stabilized things very ell. We are going back to the original style and shoot some targets later in the week when the weather straightens out.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am

OK, now you are to the point where if these rifles shot center fire ammo you would be testing primer,cases,powder,etc, but since we are into rimfire and have no control you need to get into the kids inheritance and spring for a few boxes of ELEY Black Box Match. Just keep in mind that you are doing precision work not plinking so the $$$ aren't that bad(at least thats what I've told my self)to find out just what the equipment will do. Regards
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=481355
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Kaz, I think I found my problem with the pressure pads in the 2 10/22's with sporter taper barrels. Mr T, Pretty Boy, and Wasp are all .920 bull barrels and are shooting well and so is Markie with his sporter barrel. Just need to get the Oldtimer and Sport a little better than they are, do not necessarily expect them to shoot with the heavy barrel guns, Remona. Moses, Nyla and Henry, I do not expect target accuracy as they are only intended too be for terrorizing plastic prairie dogs and they do that well but Henry will surprise you with good ammo. The ammo that seems to work the best is the 1050 to probably 1100 fps velocity stuff as tho normal twist rate seems to spin it just enough to make it stable. The faster ammo around 1200 fps or so does not seem to shoot quite as accurate but some guns do shoot it well. The main thing in ammo is how consistent it is from one round to another, this is where you get the repeat in the same hole targets as long as the operator does not mess up.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:45 pm

What I've decided and you may well be better able to prove my point is that in 22RF the barrel diameter is not the most important consideration. In 50 yard benchrest we have gone to the lighter taper barrels with a lot of effort given to find the choke/dead point. I also admit that we all use barrel tuners to control the vibes, and tune to a specific lot of Eley 8) I have a CZ 16" sporter barrel(no tuner) that would out shoot my CZ Varmint barrel, and do it with inexpensive ammo, and a lower power scope. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Been doing some research on barrel tuners and they make sense. You can see what the damping effect has if you watch a base guitar string vibrate as you move up or down the frets. The tuner may be the way to go for me in the future. I just got through resetting the pressure pad in the proper place an remembered I also have a bug hole tuner ant Mr T is bored to take it in the forend, may try that again as now I may have more of an understanding for it. May also and think I will try the O rings as they also make sense and are not too costly. Later in the week the weather will straighten out an I will get some range time in.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 am

Weather not too bad, but not very warm wither, about 50F.
the nose run factor has an effect on test time, also with some fail to fire problems . This makes it frustrating and the it is just best to go back home where it is warm and comfortable. Did move the O rings around a bit and did see the effect,especially when it caused a lot of vertical stinging., made it quite noticeable. Have got both sporter barrel guns to a know setting so we may get some test time in this afternoon. If we do not see hat we like we make take them back to stock, just so we have a known standard to work from. Too many changes and not enough documentation and you can really get totally confused. O rings and possible tuners will have to wait until next Spring.
Sometime I think I just have too many guns to play with and I just get myself completely and totally confused,

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:36 pm

bearandoldman,
There really is no such thing as 'too many guns'. The issue is to be able to re-organize the rest of your life to make the time needed. :roll:
I have an old Rem. 581 that I rescued from the "please take me home" rack for $90.00 about 2 years ago. After much repair, rebuild, refinish etc, it would do unpredictable 1 1/2 in. groups at 20 yds with a 4x scope.
Fiddled and fussed for a while etc. and finally, the only adjustment that worked was a single thickness of masking tape at the front end of the forend channel. Posted on my wall is a 10 shot group of 5/8 in. using federal bulk ammo. I'm happy with that. Other than sweat equity, I only invested enough $$ to buy a couple of extra mags and a mag catch/spring/release (which took several months to locate).
Keep on keepin' on.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:39 pm

oops, the reason I got the 581 in the first place is that is has a LEFT hand bolt. The proper side, by the way. And..I'm somewhat of a sucker for sick puppies.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Reference to my post of October 26, I went back to the original style pressure pad, that is the first alteration after being a stock gun that I did and that system seems to work fine for now. May try the O ring tuning again in the Spring when the weather gets nice and warm. Still having a lot of Fail to fire problems with Oldtimer which has a Green Mountain Sporter taper 20 inch fluted barrel. Talked to a young man at Green
Mountain and he said to check a few things and get back to ham as the chamber may be short and if so it would hold the round a little off the breech face and not get a solid firing pin hit, as the cartridge would move when the firing pin hit. Sport is a pretty much stock DSP and he now shoots good also. A target from each from this afternoon's session.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 am

EXCELLENT Groups 8) I'm sure that you've covered all the bases regarding Oldtimers FTF, but here goes: Assure that Firing pin protrusion 0.25-.035 -perhaps a new extra power(wolff) hammer spring- extractor slot perfectly lined up. I learned all this the hard way when I put an aftermarket barrel on mine. Regards