Tri-Mags for a 10/22...

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Tri-Mags for a 10/22...

Post by Baldy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Has any of you gents used these Tri-Mags with your 10/22???
http://shopruger.com/BX-1-TriMag-Specia ... nfo/49800/

What due you think of them??? Ruger has them on sale for $50.00. I think I'll get a couple. I am planning on shoot steel with this rifle maybe and they would work out real good for me, if there worth it... :)

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:55 pm

A lot of people swear the Ruger 10 round rotary mag is the most reliable available. If it's $50 with the three mags I don't think you can go wrong as the cheapest I've ever found the mag was $15 each. If their holder doesn't work you're out $5. (There are some really neat extended mag releases that make it very easy if you even if the holder didn't work)

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 pm

99/100 wrote:A lot of people swear the Ruger 10 round rotary mag is the most reliable available.
My Ruger magazine sucks. :(

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 am

lucam wrote:
99/100 wrote:A lot of people swear the Ruger 10 round rotary mag is the most reliable available.
My Ruger magazine sucks. :(
The first 3 Ruger factory mags I had for the 10/22 were really hard to get in and out. After I carefully sanded/filed (fine grit) the sharp plastic corners at both ends, they worked fine. It seems that there are some really small "feathers" at the corners that I really couldn't see, but could feel with a fingernail. Once that was smoothed up they were fine.
I also use some 25 round Butler Creek mags. If you try those, make sure they have the steel lips (they make one that is the same except with plastic lips about 2-3 dollars cheaper, but they don't last long, and then lots of mis-feeds).

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Tri-Mags for a 10/22...

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:45 am

Baldy wrote:Has any of you gents used these Tri-Mags with your 10/22???
http://shopruger.com/BX-1-TriMag-Specia ... nfo/49800/

What due you think of them??? Ruger has them on sale for $50.00. I think I'll get a couple. I am planning on shoot steel with this rifle maybe and they would work out real good for me, if there worth it... :)
I guess they would be OK, I really don't know. I just use the Butler Creek 25 round mags (steel lip ones). They hang down a little lower, but I don't have to change them every 10 rounds.
Those tri-mags might be OK though.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Just looking at them, they seem like they could be a nuisance sticking out on both sides. Being pretty well centered between the trigger and forearm, maybe not. I never have tried a Tri-Mag.

I'm happy just changing mags, not much harder than flipping this Tri-Mag around. Some comments about the Ruger mags not working well. All seven of mine had some molding lines and didn't drop so well new, but worked fine after a dozen or so uses.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Tri-Mag

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Love the lil 10 round rotary mags. HATE the tri-mag idea.

1) to keep dirt.mud.etc,etc,etc, out of the exposed mags, you would have to put a protective cover on them.

2) If you did 1) above, you just gave up your quick load advantage.

Just get a 25,30, or 50 round banana or drum.

Problem solved.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks gents for all the comments. I pulled the string and bought two of them and if nothing else I'll have 7mags now for that rifle. I'll let y'all know how they work out later next year. :)

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Well I got the Tri-mags today. There not to hard to put together if you are a three handed monkey. I took a fine file and dressed all the edges and put a little lock tight on the nut and bolt. They all load and drop free now. For shooting steel they look like they will work just fine. :D

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:27 am

The idea reminds me of something I did in the 70's.

I wanted more magazine capacity but had no available alternatives. So I rednecked my own. Took 2 standard 10/22 mags and ground the bases flat. Then just Acraglassed the bases together and clamped them. I did that to 4 mags and am still using them nearly 4 decades later.

The only malfunction I have ever had with Ruger 10/22 mags was when I took it apart and didn't assemble it right. I can't fault Ruger or the mags for my goofup. Thats been hundreds of thousands of rounds ago in several 10/22's and still going strong.

Merry Christmas Gentlemen and Gentleladies, I wish each and every one of you health, happiness and the comfort of being surrounded by those you love and those who love you.

Al Schirado
(Stork)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Now that's a neat trick there Mr.Stork. Thanks for the tip. I just might try a few like that in the future. :idea:

I hope you and yours have a very Happy New Year... :D

Redleg

Post by Redleg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 am

I tried the Trimags in both my stock Ruger 10/22 carbine and my new Ruger 10/22 Takedown. They worked great! Here in California we cannot use magazines with more than 10 round capacity, so the Trimag idea is perfect for this benighted state. Love the Trimags and bought several more.

humbug

... about the TriMags ...

Post by humbug » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 pm

I've got a couple of these.
They work fine, but are a little bulky for carrying.
Has anybody bought and used the canvas pockets they sell for these things?
Seems they'd be less troublesome if you could just hook a couple together ... or maybe loop them thru your belt.
Their size makes them just a little 'unhandy' for a shirt or jacket pocket.
... ... just wondering ... ...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.com!

They're a little out of fashion but a fanny pack style waist pouch would work fine to carry tri-mags.

R,
Bullseye

humbug

... Tri-Mag ...

Post by humbug » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah, might look 'round for something like that. I think I remember seeing a lot of different stuff from when the big 'Obama/CCW' craze first started: everybody seemed to have their own idea about the best way to tote your concealed piece. Most of the bright ideas would appear better-suited for something like the Tri-Mags than for a self-defense shooter.

My 10-22 is 100% stock except for the Weaver scope and a functional sling, but I really enjoy following these threads for ideas and opinions. Guys can get extremely 'hung-up' on a lot of different things ... from golfing or fishing or chasing women or antique cars -to- boozing and honky-tonking ... nothing wrong with enjoying a little 'POW'-time if you can afford it. I've spent more than I need to on several guns ... but I enjoy them and I'm waiting right now for UPS to bring that ol' Winchester 62A I've been itching for.