Black guns

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I've shot a few of the CF black rifles, and they are fun to shoot. recoil like a 22mag.

the one I have the most experience with is my issued m16a1. the triggers on current production stuff are a heck of a lot better than my vietnam era surplus rifle.
Will that 45 degree adapter allow me to mount a reflex sight for short range, Then I can do like Jerry Miculek and run and gun, well walk and gun for us old guys. Just bought it for a plain fun shooter, got enough of them super accurate ones. Sometimes running all the bullets through the same hole gets boring. :lol:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

I've seen folks do it that way, they seem to like it, the 45 ofset makes zeroing a little trickier...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:27 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I've seen folks do it that way, they seem to like it, the 45 ofset makes zeroing a little trickier...
Should not make it too difficult, if you cant the rifle 45 degrees the dot is vertically directly above the bore center, got one on order and should be here Monday. Had to go back to the LGS yesterday, needed a gun case, none of mine would cover an AR type rifle, also got one extra mag and some riser blocks. Trying to mount a scope and could not push my face into the stock far enough to look through the scope properly. The riser blocks and extra high ring that were on the scope worked out perfect. Did some checking and did not realize how high the center of the peep was above the bore, now the scope center is pretty much the same, should work great, now if it would get warm enough to go out and play.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:52 am

How much rise?
and at what point do you just use the carry handle?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 am

bigfatdave wrote:How much rise?
and at what point do you just use the carry handle?
This gun has no carry handle as you can see from the previous pics. According to my measurements and they should be pretty close Centerline of the bore to centerline of peep sight id 2-5/8 to centerline of scope is 2-3/4. Scope centerline to top of the stock is about 2 inches. Will take some pics and post them later after I make Ma and I some breakfast.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:53 pm

BFD here is a pic of the front of the scope with the rear sight in front of it so yu can see how the centerlins are just aboout the same.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:31 pm

I think one of the reasons that I wanted a black gun is because my grandson has one and so does my grandson in law. Here is my grandson with his in Sunny Afghanistan.
Now that he is pretty well grown up he looks just like his Dad.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Good looking kids. A salute to each of them.

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 am

To me it is all about Ergonomics, since I like my AR-15, and I like shooting the .22 LR Rimfire this seemed like the logical thing to do.

A couple years ago I bought a used 10/22 from a buddy with a project in mind. This 10/22 was really rough but after hours of polishing and scrubbing it actually started looking good and to my surprise shot quite well. With that said the build could begin.

Enter the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit. This 3 piece kit is designed to house the 10/22 barreled action and then any AR-15 Buttstock, Pistol Grip and Free Float tube can be added to complete the package.

For this first build I wanted something about the size and shape as my Bushmaster ORC 16" M4 .223. The reason would be twofold. First of all it would be a practice weapon, and secondly it would fit in the overhead gun rack for my Bushmaster.

First off I did a complete Action / Trigger Job consisting of polishing all of the fire control parts to a mirror finish. Still not happy with the trigger pull I opted to replace the factory hammer with a Volquartsen Target Hammer (which I also polished). I also chamfered / radiused the rear of the bolt so it cycles smoother while cocking the hammer, set the headspace on the bolt and pinned the firing pin (these last two modifications are said to eliminate fliers).

The little skinny carbine barrel looked sort of goofy sticking out of that free float tube so I had the barrel shortened and recrowned at 16 1/2" and added a Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud to give it the look of a bull barrel without the added weight.

I topped it off with a Weaver 3x9x32mm AO Rimfire Classic Riflescope in Weaver 1" High Quad Lock Scope Rings mounted to Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Risers to get the scope the right height above the comb of the stock.

For a buttstock I used an AR Stoner 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock & Buffer Tube. I added a Command Arms Accessories UPG-16 Pistol Grip and a DPMS Carbine Length Free Float Tube.

This 10/22 ended up shooting better than I thought a 10/22 with a factory carbine barrel could shoot. I also really liked the feel and ergonomics of this gun so I decided to build another one.

I shoot Indoor Bench Rest Competition each winter at a local indoor shooting range. I wanted this next build to be suitable for this competition.

Again I started with a used 10/22 I picked up and sold the original barrel and stock. This time I sent the trigger group off to TT Shooter for one of Todd's Precision Trigger Jobs. I knew from previous experience that Todd's trigger jobs are better than I can achieve and I wanted this one as good as I could get it. I wasn't sorry as it came back super crisp at 2 1/4 pounds but it doesn't feel nearly that heavy.

I then added a Green Mountain 20" Stainless Fluted Barrel. I attach the barrel to the receiver with a Tactical Solutions V Block which is said to be cut at an angle to help eliminate barrel droop with a free floated barrel.

Next up I did all the bolt modifications I had done to the first 10/22 build, and finally assembled everything in the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit. I added a Model 1 Sales A2 Buttstock with 1" DPMS Buttstock Extension, Command Arms Accessories UPG-16 Pistol Grip and a Model 1 Sales Rifle Length Aluminum Free Float Tube.

On top I mounted a Weaver 40/44 6.5x20x44mm AO Duplex Riflescope in Weaver 1" High Quad Lock Scope Rings mounted to Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Risers.

I recently completed my Indoor Bench Rest League with this new 10/22 shooting Wolf Match Target Ammo. I shot my best total ever. We shoot the USBR Target which has 25 bullseyes on each target for score. The 10 Ring measures .100". To score a 10 the bullet only needs to touch the 10 ring but to score a X the bullet must obliterate the 10 ring so no portion of the 10 ring is visible outside of the bullet hole.

We shoot a 6 week league for a total possible score of 1500-150x for the year. Shooting this new 10/22 I managed a 1499-72x this year.

The Ruger 10/22 is the Tinker Toy of the Gun World and only your imagination is the limiting factor on how you can build one.

Larry

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:16 am

Are you using the factory 10 round mags with that kit?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 am

SDH, you got a couple of nice looking shooters there. I had thought of going that way myself, but around here you can not find a used 10/22 and if you do they want almost as much as a new one. So, I decided to go the M&P 15-22 route because it is really an M&P15 trainer and has the 25 round mags, plus I don't have to fool around with the build. Nothing wrong with the 10/22's they work fine and I have a few of them from stock to fully altered with stocks and barrels. And they are very accurate, some will shoot under 1/8 groups at 25 yards. Used to shoot at an indoor 25 yard range and that is fun shooting the UUUUUSBR targets, a lot easier than outdoors because you have no wind to give you problems. Do you shoot 25 yards or 50 feet indoors?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Well, here it is about what I wanted. Got the adapter today but the fire control spring kit to reduce the trigger pull will not be here until tomorrow. Had it all apart expecting the spring kit today but UPS revised the delivery date. Well, my bud and I want to shoot some tomorrow so I had to put it back together, it was a good practice run though. The next time will be easier.Image

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Nice, very nice.

I was not all that positive about converting a 10/22 to a black rifle, but I may just have had my mind changed. Either that or look at S&W. Decisions, decisions.

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 pm

BUllseye yes I am using the Factory Ruger 10 Round Magazines with both of my Nordic Kits.

Bearandoldman, Thanks for the kind words. These two projects were very fun to build and turned out way better than anticipated. We actually shoot 18 yards at our Indoor Range. Yes the atmospheric conditions in the range are always constant (well no wind and temperature are constant anyway) but our artificial lighting seems to leave something to be desired. Over the years when wind does not play a factory my scores on the USBR Targets outdoors at 25 yards and indoors at 18 yards are almost identical.

Thanks greener. I have been a rimfire fanatic for many years. We built this indoor shooting range in 1990, and I have been on the board of directors since day one.

I built a Custom Ruger 77/22 a few years back and had so much fun with the project that I decided to build the 10/22's. I always prefer shooting my AR-15's over other types of .223's so the Nordic AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit seemed the logical choice.

Larry

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 am

SDH, the indoor range lack of wind is the biggest asset, the lesser distance does help also. Used to shoot at an indoor range that close a few years ago but they had 25 yard and the lighting lacked a little also. email me sometime and i will send you pics of some of my 10/22's stock and modded. Sometimes it gets boring watching the bullet go through the same hole all the time, that is why I go the 15-22 for action fun shooting. I do have a pretty much stock 10/22T that will still shoot under an 1/8 at 25 yard for a 5 or sometimes a 10 shot group. What type if rest are you using for your ESBR shooting , Pappas or something?