new 10/22 (and first one for me)

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

new 10/22 (and first one for me)

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:07 am

Picked up a brand spankin' new 10/22 carbine the other day, current production with all the plastic parts instad of metal.
Plastic butt pad, trigger guard, trigger, mag release (it is extended so that is a bonus :thumbs up:), and barrel band.
No complaints on the barrel band (it is only cosmetic as far as I can tell) trigger guard, trigger, or mag release. they are just fine. besides didn't we learn in "the Graduate" that plastics are the future?
the Plastic butt pad is going to go I think.... it is VERY smooth and doesn't grab your shoulder and slips around making it difficult to really tighten up on on the gun. makes it seem unstable to me. I may look into a rubber replacement or other options down the road.
the stock is nice wood, I think it might need some wax rubbed in to it. it fits me nicely and was rather hansomely made.

I had a 3-9x simmons scope on another gun so I swapped it onto the 10/22 using the supplied scope rail. that fit nicely to the reciever.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:15 am

I had to go to the range to test out the new rifle... I have had it since monday and have not shot it yet (it was giving me sad looks don't ya know) so off to the range we went.

I loaded up the 10 shot mag with Federal 550 and zeroed the scope at 25 yards. at the end of the mag I was on target and zeroed. a couple of mags later of the federal and i was liking the rifle more and more... all the holes were going in neat clusters when I did my part and didn't yank the trigger. and only had a couple of FTE (I am blaming the ammo and a brand new never shot gun for this. some of the rounds were pops not bangs)

the trigger is a bit heavy with a creep and too much pretravel and a lot of overtravel..... but it worked fine. not sure if I liked the feel of the triger face it felt a bit wide and round to me.

All in all this is a good gun and I now have to tinker with it to get it the way I think I want it.

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 am

Nice! At least you went out and shot it before you started tinkering. Some folks don't ever get that far. Now that you've established a baseline for performance you can better assess how the new mods impact the rifle.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:55 am

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 am

You got to go out and shoot them first, yes the trigger need work.Just can't sell a really light trigger to the general public. My LGS does all of them and they are great. But with the over and pre travel pretty much taken up and the light pull, even as much as I shoot I will occasionally get a double tap. Usually on a cold day. You can get a nice rubber butt pad about an inch longer for less than 15 bucks I believe, try rimfire sports. The Ruger barrels are not all that bad, I have a couple that really shoot well. The stock barrel on my 10/22T shoots as good as my GM barrels, with the right ammo. Seem that all of the ammo that is around 1050 fps shoots the best
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Bullseye wrote:Nice! At least you went out and shot it before you started tinkering. Some folks don't ever get that far. Now that you've established a baseline for performance you can better assess how the new mods impact the rifle.

R,
Bullseye
thanks,

I had to get a baseline set or I wouldn't know if there was any improvement

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:41 am

bearandoldman wrote:You got to go out and shoot them first, yes the trigger need work.Just can't sell a really light trigger to the general public. My LGS does all of them and they are great. But with the over and pre travel pretty much taken up and the light pull, even as much as I shoot I will occasionally get a double tap. Usually on a cold day. You can get a nice rubber butt pad about an inch longer for less than 15 bucks I believe, try rimfire sports. The Ruger barrels are not all that bad, I have a couple that really shoot well. The stock barrel on my 10/22T shoots as good as my GM barrels, with the right ammo. Seem that all of the ammo that is around 1050 fps shoots the best
Pretty much my experience with the GM and stock barrels. The stock shows more scatter until I got to Wolf MT ammo. My feeling was the stock barrel was "bouncing" around. Sort of the same feeling I have with the lighter Henry. I'm shooting off a Caldwell sandbag rest and just wonder if the heavier GM barrel makes a steadier shot under those conditions.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:26 am

Bouncing is one way of describing what is happening The heavier barrel has a different vibration frequency that the lighter one. Did you ever watch the base string on a guitar vibrate the barrel does the same thin, you want to get the node of the vibration to be at the end of the barrel as the bullet leaves on the node of the vibration every time. The 1050fps seems to have the proper frequency and the better ammo is more consistent, thus much more accurate. Damn that is almost too much thinking for this early in the morning.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 am

Could be vibration but it seems more like the big vibe from recoil. What I should do is get a better rest to check that part out.

My father was a big pusher of getting up early. He said that sunrise was the best part of the day. At the time I wasn't sure if that was a positive statement or he was saying the rest of the day was downhill.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 am

greener wrote:Could be vibration but it seems more like the big vibe from recoil. What I should do is get a better rest to check that part out.

My father was a big pusher of getting up early. He said that sunrise was the best part of the day. At the time I wasn't sure if that was a positive statement or he was saying the rest of the day was downhill.
Yes, your father was/is right and you you know why. That is because there are not enough jackasses u yet to screw it up. Lots of days I sit here around 5:00AM by my front window with my coffee and laptop and look East and see the sun coming up.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:26 pm

sunset on my way too work driing west, sunrise on the way home driving east..... makes for a nice start and end to the work day....

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:56 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:sunset on my way too work driing west, sunrise on the way home driving east..... makes for a nice start and end to the work day....
Yes, but that makes the middle part pretty dark?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:18 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:sunset on my way too work driing west, sunrise on the way home driving east..... makes for a nice start and end to the work day....
I got my good looks from greener, so I look better in the dark.... :D

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:20 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
I got my good looks from greener, so I look better in the dark.... :D
That wuold explain it pretty well, I have seen the Greener up close and personal.l

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:47 am

got the new 10/22 out with federal bulk on a windy day at 50yards, all shots in a 1" group...not bad, about the same as my savage was doing and I know my savage can do better.

-John Wayne