Silhoutte Rifle Q?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

GMAN

Silhoutte Rifle Q?

Post by GMAN » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I just got a $199 10/22 Carbine and would like to build it into a silhouette gun. I already have a bench rest gun. I want to start with the barrel, need one that is lightweight, will a 16.5" work? Is there a lightweight bull barrel (.920) or should I go with a std. barrel? I shot one match with my target model and it was way too heavy. I'm NOT a silhouette MATCH shooter, more of a silhouette PLINKER shooter. So, any recommendations on a barrel? Going to need a scope also. Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am

A 10/22 is not an ideal silhouette gun. Having said that if you want to build one into a silhouette gun and are concerned about barrel weight you may want to take a look at some of the carbon fiber variants. After that a quality scope is going to cost, Leupold VX3 models are some to look at for your gun.

R,
Bullseye

GMAN

Post by GMAN » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:17 am

Looking at a Mueller 8.5-25x50. Will that be good out to 100yds? Thanks

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I've shot silhouette seriously in the recent past..... While not often seen, William Zander of Texas used to shoot very high scores with a 10/22.....

One of the advantages I believe is the fact that a string of five shots can be very easily done without removing the rifle from the shoulder...without breaking the set of the butt plate in your shoulder.... Zander was very smooth on the line.

The disadvantage? It takes quite a bit of specialized work to make a 10/22 accurate enough..... barrel, custom stock, trigger, etc..... When I asked about the rifle, William Zander offered to sell it to me....for $800.

I've seen William since, and I believe he is no longer shooting the 10/22.