.22 MAG AMMO & ACCURACY

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.22 MAG AMMO & ACCURACY

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:39 pm

Several years ago I gave in and purchased a Ruger 77/22Mag VBZ w/laminated stock and the target gray matte barrel. I was rather disappointed with it's accuracy with the normal .22 mag ammo available at the time.
Knowing how great CCI Mini Mags shot in my LR's I naturally went with maxi mags in the 77/22 MAG. Unfortunately this gun wouldn't group in a grapefruit at 100yds with very good but normal, plain jane ammo.
Just terrible!
It was so bad it was sentenced to the safe for bad behavior. About a year later a friend who had the same gun and experiences with the same ammos including Win 40 grn mags alerted me to a new (at the time) Mag round. It was a Federal Mag with a Sierra 30grn bullet called Federal Premium.
Since I had nothing to lose but the price of a box of ammo I tried it.
Holy schnikys! :shock: The stuff was amazing..... Almost unbelievable differences were achieved.

Needless to say it bacame my fodder of choice. Then as luck would have it Federal/Blount Inc spun off to ATK. Suddenly my favorite ammo was history.
Thankfully Federal is making a similar round with a TNT bullet. I've yet to try it.
CCI which is the same company under ATK is now making the CCI V-MAX which I've not tried yet as well.
Here's the line up...all 30gr

These ammo prices have doubled since my first box of Fed Premium Sierras were purchased in 1997.
The current CCI V-MAX is up beyond double.

Has anyone here had experiences good or bad with this round from a 77/22 or a CZ?
They look sinister but how do they perform in terms of accuracy rather than "splodability"? At $10.50-$12.50 a throw I'd like a little guidance! I realize I'll need to try them in my gun but I'm just looking for some preliminary reviews.

Thanks,
SD