Make-shift bipod UPDATED!! For all Barrels.

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Georgezilla wrote:Nice set up. Does the clamp stay in place well while live firing?

After I had been shooting for about year I mostly cut out the caffeine. My hold improved considerably. 24 hours before I go shooting, I wont even eat chocolate. I have 1 cup of something with caffeine about every 2 weeks, and never with a meal as caffeine can be stored in fat cells.
Yes it does stay in place...at least on my 22/45. Can't say what it would do on something bigger, but I suspect it would do OK since the strap wraps the barrel and those spring clamps are strong (at least good ones are).

I suspect my hold would improve dramatically also if I cut caffeine. My health might, too. Maybe I should think about it. I don't shoot competition....just shoot for pleasure. I don't even know how to score a target or what a good score might be under any given conditions. I'd be shootiing tin cans if it were possible in my shop. Paper is my only choice. I do post pictures of varmints on the trap and pretend I'm actually hunting. Bin Laden is missing an eye. :lol: The nearest range is 35-40 miles away, except my shop range. It's only 150' away.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Great idea!! I will have to give it a try.

lilblkgun

Post by lilblkgun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 am

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!!
OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 am

Oh, Jack, I guess I am going to have to teach you to armrest that Ruger.
25 yards, armrested, weak hand adding support, wrists forward were not supported. Had an Ultradot 4 dot on at the time. Five shots only. I did quit while I was ahead :)
Jack
Last edited by Hardball on Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:03 am

Hardball, do I see that right? Did you have your Mark II's receiver milled to accept the Bo-Mar sight base? Looks like the rear of the base, underneath blade, has a flat milled into the receiver tube for the sight.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 am

Correct you are Mr Bullseye. The BoMar instructions called for a little flat there, I reshaped the top of the big pin as well. No big deal at all. However this step is not required with the Volquartsen sight. But the Volq. sight is a bit forward shortening the sight radius. I went Volq on two other sight switches, both have the 6 something inch barrels. If I were to do another BoMar, I would install before any milling. Then assemble and lower the sight leaf toward where it needs to be and carefully remove underneath only what it needed for a lowest mechanical zero. On this blue 5.5" gun, I am able to lower the sight all the way to the deck. From there I lowered the front blade to match. This gun has done wonders offhand. Like one session of 25 for 25 shots in the ten ring at 50' TF. The Roddy trigger job is half the secret. The other two guns are iron use only.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:31 pm

You're getting all you can out of that one. Some folks just cannot believe that Ruger's can give that level of groupings but you and I know better.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Hardball wrote:Oh, Jack, I guess I am going to have to teach you to armrest that Ruger.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/t ... -Jan08.jpg
25 yards, armrested, weak hand adding support, wrists forward were not supported. Had an Ultradot 4 dot on at the time. Five shots only. I did quit while I was ahead :)
Jack
OK, Jack. But that sounds dangerous. I'd probably shoot off my elbow. Post a picture of your stance????? The only stance I know is grip firmly with both hands, close eyes and fire. So far, no holes in the shop walls.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re:

Post by Hardball » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:12 am

Jack D wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:52 pm
Hardball wrote:Oh, Jack, I guess I am going to have to teach you to armrest that Ruger.
Jack
OK, Jack. But that sounds dangerous. I'd probably shoot off my elbow. Post a picture of your stance????? The only stance I know is grip firmly with both hands, close eyes and fire. So far, no holes in the shop walls.
Looking for the "Tractor" thread, I found a few old posts that brought back memory of good times.
Didn't find the tractor thread though.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re:

Post by Hardball » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:16 am

Hardball wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 am
Oh, Jack, I guess I am going to have to teach you to armrest that Ruger.
Jack

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re:

Post by Hardball » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:19 am

Hardball wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 am
Correct you are Mr Bullseye. The BoMar instructions called for a little flat there, I reshaped the top of the big pin as well. No big deal at all. However this step is not required with the Volquartsen sight. But the Volq. sight is a bit forward shortening the sight radius. I went Volq on two other sight switches, both have the 6 something inch barrels. If I were to do another BoMar, I would install before any milling. Then assemble and lower the sight leaf toward where it needs to be and carefully remove underneath only what it needed for a lowest mechanical zero. On this blue 5.5" gun, I am able to lower the sight all the way to the deck. From there I lowered the front blade to match. This gun has done wonders offhand. Like one session of 25 for 25 shots in the ten ring at 50' TF. The Roddy trigger job is half the secret. The other two guns are iron use only.
50' Slowfire on left. Sustained on right with the MkII mentioned

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Make-shift bipod UPDATED!! For all Barrels.

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:46 pm

Looks real good. I see you've been staying on top of your game.

I have been spending a bit more time with my service rifle shooting across the course and less with my pistols. Trying to refine all my positions now that we can use scopes for competition. I know I'm a bit late with those rules changes but I'm a bit of a traditionalist with my service rifles and stuck with the iron sights and A2 style fixed rifle stocks for as long as I could. As I acquired more birthdays, it was getting harder to get a clear sight picture on those narrow front posts.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:20 pm

I know what you mean re sights vs scope on Service Rifle. I have gone to the Leupold SR scope. But I just shoot the offhand for fun these days. Getting too old to drop to position, and get back up

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:34 am

I do enjoy shooting my unlimited Garand with the iron sights. The peep sight aperture is small enough to act as an iris to assist in my focusing on the front sight. The front post on that rifle is narrowed to exactly the same width of the aiming black of the SR targets. Don McCoy made that one for me "extra special" back in 88 and it has always been a tack driver. The Garand is my favorite for shooting offhand and it makes a pretty good belly gun too.

I am not having any issues getting in and out of the positions which I attribute to my staying in excellent physical condition for my now senior age. I walk a minimum of 5 miles per day to say active and I still lift weights to maintain my flexibility and muscle tone. Ironically I am the same age now as Don was when he built my Garand service rifle, and he was adamant that walking everyday was the key to his health condition. He and his wife would walk every day religiously. Their garage ceiling was covered with hundreds of monetary bills that they had found on their walks around their house, some of them were pretty large values too.

My biggest issue with the new scope on the service rifle was parallax. I solved that by making a custom lens with a small hole in it to force my head position into the correct cheek placement for consistent aiming through the scope. I had some dark smoked Plexiglas 1/4" plastic that I shaped into the internal diameter of the scope cap cover. Cut a 1/4" hole in the center and then chamfered the hole edge to mimic the image of a "peep sight". The smoked plastic allows me to see everything downrange and I have a clear center to align with the scope's crosshairs for shot placememt. There are commercial lense inserts like these available, but I don't like buying things I can make myself. This really helped me make the transition to the glass sights, without it I was really not happy with my performance results.

Take care,
Bullseye