Fixing front sight bluing wear?

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 am

I think I will try both the carbide lamp and the spray-on. The shine just drives me nuts. I find myself blaming bad shots on it even if I know that I was the problem, I hate that :?

The Permablue works great! I reblued a good portion of a 1911 mag, it looks great.

Do any companies make a high quality front sight for a MKII bull barrel that would work with the VQ TL rear sight? The Ruger one was already pretty glossy even before the Permablue :cry:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:11 am

toyfj40 wrote:
Bud33 wrote:A couple of kernels of carbide, a drop of water, and it made the ideal smoker.
I wanna watch 'Greener' try this...
from a distance WITH my binoculars!!
:shock: :lol: :P

Me too, but from the distace wheere you need a 50X spotting scope, better yet from a greater distance yet using a remote disposable TV camer. Hang in there Rob. :D :D
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 pm

What advantages do the carbide lighters offer over a zippo?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:11 am

Carbide is a little more sooty when it burns. This leaves a nice lamp black coating on the sight blade.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 am

Bullseye wrote:Carbide is a little more sooty when it burns. This leaves a nice lamp black coating on the sight blade.

R,
Bullseye
Got to thinking how you can see the strings of soot in the air off the real orange flame when you first light a welding torch and then the brain woke up and said Hey oldman water and carbide make acetylene, dummy. Proves one thing,may be a little slow but I still got at least some of it, maybe not all, but some..

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:45 pm

To make the carbide lamp work, you add a few drops of water to the chips and quickly screw on the lid as the rocks fizzle to generate the gas. One quick spark from the lighter flint and 'poof' a nice yellow fame producing a deep, flat, black coating.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Bullseye wrote:To make the carbide lamp work, you add a few drops of water to the chips and quickly screw on the lid as the rocks fizzle to generate the gas. One quick spark from the lighter flint and 'poof' a nice yellow fame producing a deep, flat, black coating.

R,
Bullseye
When you light a welding or cutting torch and the oxygen is turned way down you can just see the wisps of soot in the air drifting in the breeze.