Rebluing a Beretta Bobcat

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 am

Having nothing better to do and getting tired of fooling around with the PC, my eyes fell on my old Beretta Bobcat .22 as I was rummaging around.

I would like to reblue it- "blacken" really should be the word for it.

Now, my only experience in rebluing was when I tried to reblue an old .22 rifle. Forgot the name of the stuff I used but I followed meticulously the instructions that came with the bottle, but it turned a horrible streaky brown, far from the glossy black the bottle promised. The fact that I got plenty of doves with it means that the critters either got scared stiff at the sight of the rifle- or died laughing.

So, any advice on what stuff you guys are satisfied with enough to recommend, and how I can do a decent job? There are just so many brands in the market I wouldn't know which one to buy. Thanks.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Years ago I reblued a Mauser HSC (I think that was the model, a .32 pistol), using a Birchwood Casey kit that I think is around twenty bucks these days. The Mauser was in pretty good shape already, with no worn metal or rust, so the kit turned it out pretty nice.

This was, though, a friend's WWII souvenir, a non-shooter. I don't think any practical DIY setup is going to be nearly as durable as getting it done through a good smith. This depends on how much you value the gun, and how full your wallet is. I have no idea of a cost these days. 75-100 bucks?

The good bluing is done in a heated tank, with boiling chemical. Carefully removing old blue, cleaning, and buffing involved, too.

Birchwood Casey's Permablue does work super for touching up my sights, though.

seagiant

Post by seagiant » Tue May 19, 2009 1:39 am

Hi J 45,
This would be a great opportunity to learn about slow rust blueing! All you need is a pot of boiling water for doing a pistol,the chemical and a soft wire brush. All of this can be obtained from Brownell's for less than $50 and you will be amazed at how easy it is and at the results!

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 pm

I reblued this old .22 rifle using a good cold bluing solution (don't remember the brand ...Outers?). I warmed the barrel using a propane torch (warm, not hot). Then applied the bluing solution as directed, then buffed with fine steel wool between each of many, many coats....until it was a uniform satin black. It still looks like it was when just finished.....and that was probably 35 years ago.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.