Speedloader for Ruger Mark III (and probably all others)

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Speedloader for Ruger Mark III (and probably all others)

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:08 pm

I made a couple of magazine speedloaders for my Mark III. I had some scrap 1/8 inch Plexiglass that was almost already a good size, and decided to try something similar to ones I've seen manufactured.

Basically just a 1 3/4 X 2 1/2 inch rectangle, with a 1 1/16 X 3/8 inch slot in the center. A piece of 2 inch masking tape on one side is good to mark your layout. The measurements aren't critical, if you go a little larger it will still work good.

I hacksawed and filed the rectangle. Started the slot with three 1/4 holes and turned them into a slot with a 1/4" round file, and a six inch flat file. Round the rectangle corners, and the corners of the slot. I buffed the whole works after with some green Scotchbrite, to smooth the edges, and dull the clear. I thought leaving it really clear might make it harder to find if dropped.

Making two took me about three hours.

To use it, slip it on the top of the magazine, and put the bottom of the mag in your other palm. Push the speedloader all the way down, and grab it with your other fingers. Then just drop your ammo in, and let go.

I thought it might be kind of rough on the bluing, but I can't see any harm after loading two magazines about 15 times each. Just be sure your slot is smooth.

I would guess any kind of tough, stiff plastic would do. Wood could work, too, but probably not last very long.

One made my recent range trip much nicer. No more sore thumb!!

langenc

Post by langenc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm

Save the 2 or 3 hrs and get a HSK (I believe) for the Mark II and use a small file (fingernail) and square the one corner and it will work fine. HSK costs less than $3

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 am

About 25 bucks will get you an Ultimate Clip Loader, very quick and efficient. # hours of my time is worth more than that, even though I am retired.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Ruger22

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your work. As for the UCL BAOLM, I have one of those and it's a great piece of equipment.

Ylee

raw6464

Post by raw6464 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 am

bearandoldman wrote:About 25 bucks will get you an Ultimate Clip Loader, very quick and efficient. # hours of my time is worth more than that, even though I am retired.
Ditto on the UCL. I didn't know about it when I bought the MKIII... but now the only 22 I'd buy would be the Ruger or the Browning that works with it.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:07 pm

The UCL is awesome, and I wouldn't go to the range without one (esp. because I generally take two "mark two and two quarter pistols and 7 mags, plus a bulk box of ammo or two to burn) because there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth if all those rounds had to be loaded in by hand.

But on the other hand, if high-volume shooting is the goal, something small and simple that doesn't need occasional adjustment is nice ... like what ruger22 is talking about. Plus, the little follower-button-slider-sleeve he's made could be adapted to work with magazines other than Ruger or Buckmark.
Heck, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if you could make it work with Ruger mkIII mags and Walther P22 mags!