My MkII and Power's Stoning Fixtures

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

seagiant

My MkII and Power's Stoning Fixtures

Post by seagiant » Tue May 19, 2009 1:29 am

Hi,
I'm a new member and thought I would say hello. Enjoy the site and all the storys on the Ruger 22's. I have been a hobby gunsmith for years but have just recently gotten into the Ruger MkII. I found a Target model with a Clark trigger already installed,but the trigger was hard and had quite a bit of creep in it. I have the Powers stoning fixture series 1&2. I did not have the correct adapter for the series 1 that does the sear and hammer hooks. I called Power's Custom to order it and happened to get Mr. Powers Sr.! I was sort of amazed because this has to be one of the top Gunsmiths in the country and after taking my order preceded to tell me how he did a trigger job on a MarkII!!! Our conversation probably lasted 15 minutes and if this is what you call customer service I guess it does not get any better.
For anyone using these fixtures,I first used the number 2 with the universal handgun adapter to clean up the shelf on the hammer hook and then went to the series 1 and cut the hammer hook to .022 measured with a feeler gauge. Then polished the top of the sear keeping the original angle and then at 30 degrees put in a small breakaway cut simular to a sear on a .45 1911 pistol. The results was a no creep 2.5 lb. trigger. This was measured using an old NRA weight set made by Pachmeyer,so I trust it. I am now waiting for a Clark hammer pin and bushing set to tighten things up a bit and hopefully make the trigger even better! If any one has experience with the pin and bushing set and how it improved your pistol I would be happy to hear about it! Thanks!