Blast Shield

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Blast Shield

Post by greener » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:24 am

I bought a 1973 Ruger Standard with a very loose receiver grip frame fit. I made a blast shield to shim the lug. After some firing it loosened up slightly. I just made a second one and dropped it in on top of the first. The fit is much tighter than the first. The barely pop can is also good material to make a rear shim at the bolt stop pin hole if needed. This is a quick and easy way to "fix" loose receivers.

Well, off to get some more chewing gum, bailing wire and to find a barley pop in a heavier gauge aluminum can. It will probably take lots of sampling for the latter.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showth ... p?t=215624

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Blast Shield

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:00 am

greener wrote:I bought a 1973 Ruger Standard with a very loose receiver grip frame fit. I made a blast shield to shim the lug. After some firing it loosened up slightly. I just made a second one and dropped it in on top of the first. The fit is much tighter than the first. The barely pop can is also good material to make a rear shim at the bolt stop pin hole if needed. This is a quick and easy way to "fix" loose receivers.

Well, off to get some more chewing gum, bailing wire and to find a barley pop in a heavier gauge aluminum can. It will probably take lots of sampling for the latter.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showth ... p?t=215624
Rob, if you need any help emptying those cans without waste just let me know, I may be able to help you.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks for the offer. It takes a special person to volunteer for arduous work.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:40 pm

greener wrote:Thanks for the offer. It takes a special person to volunteer for arduous work.
Hey, what are friends for , eh?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:10 am

Be sure to get a broad based sample of those cans! Also you do not have to go to RFC to view the thread on making blast shields we have a copy of it right here on the technical forum. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1175

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:13 am

Bullseye wrote:Be sure to get a broad based sample of those cans! Also you do not have to go to RFC to view the thread on making blast shields we have a copy of it right here on the technical forum. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1175

R,
Bullseye
Would you like to help Rob and I empty the beer cans?????????

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:42 am

I'm sure you two are fully capable of draining an ample amount of the adult beverage containers without a third party observer. I am not much of a drinker and only drain one or two barley pop cans per year. Thanks but I've already consumed my quota for this year.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:56 am

Bullseye wrote:I'm sure you two are fully capable of draining an ample amount of the adult beverage containers without a third party observer. I am not much of a drinker and only drain one or two barley pop cans per year. Thanks but I've already consumed my quota for this year.

R,
Bullseye
Too bad, we would have had a good session , no doubt. I do not do too many of them barley pops any more either. I do like a good one witha steak dinner, did that last night at Applebee's, nice steak, veggie, baked potato and a BIG Killiians. I don't drink much any more because I normally carry a pistola or two and that and alcohol are not compatible, much less it is against regulation of .02 for a limit. That is pretty tight, could be the drink you had yesterday.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Bullseye wrote:Be sure to get a broad based sample of those cans! Also you do not have to go to RFC to view the thread on making blast shields we have a copy of it right here on the technical forum. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1175

R,
Bullseye
Thanks for the url. It's bookmarked.

On a big heavy week, I may do 4 barley pops, but #3 daughter is on a college rugby club. She might know where to get some samples.