MKIII Gun rest for Tripod

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

MKIII Gun rest for Tripod

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:00 pm

While I was at my dad's place last week I decided to make a gunrest for my MKIII to fit my tripod. Since my dad has a pretty good wood shot I took advantage of it. I used only scrap wood to make the rest. All of the wood he has is from wood cut and processed from his property. Mainly cedar and oak, with a little Walnut and maple. The hardest part was making the base to fit the quick release. I made that part from oak, thinking I would need something hard and durable. The main part is cedar, with the barrel support magohany. It may not look pretty but it's functional. I do have a large piece of cedar I can make it in 1 piece if I decide to.

Image Image

I thought I posted this yesterday, but I could not find the post. I may have closed it without posting the thread. If I did fill free to delete this one.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Looks good, does it work good?
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

It works just fine. Since it fully supports the gun all I have to do is pull the trigger without moving. It would be better if I had a higher quality tripod, the one I'm using cost a whole $10. I will test it on some long range shots in a few weeks.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Definitely a creative design. Shooting from a rest is not exactly my style but I can see where it could come in handy at times. I like that you used common items to create a useful product.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 am

The scrap cedar is shaped the way it is because it's the droppings from making some pedestal shelf mounts last year. I made a rough cedar shelf with knots, and un-trimmed edges, just like it came off a tree as the back. It's kind of a head board shelf in a bedroom for things to set on. My neighbors did not really think it would look nice till they saw it finished. Then they wanted one and said a very 1 of a kind shelf. My dad told me I could use some of his good wood if I wanted to, I told him I'm more for function. Last year I too 2 large pieces of Walnut to make some armrest for my PU that I got from him. The 68 vintage were not in very good shape.
David

Custom Built 1911